EE consistently lays eggs with poop on them

Chickie Newbie

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Hi, I have an adorable easter egger that lays a large, beautiful moss green egg. However, almost every time she lays there is poop on the shell. Sometimes a lot, but most times a little. I do not have this problem with the other five chickens. Their eggs are almost always clean, and their diet is excellent. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure what to do except wipe off as much poop as I can. I don't wash my eggs as I like to display them on the table until we eat them. Any suggestions are appreciated.

You could trim around her vent? Just like Dogs, hair gets in the way...Feathers in this case....
By washing off the bloom that egg should be in the fridge...I keep all mine in the fridge and dated...I sell mine so my buyers love the dated eggs..

Cheers!

If she does have poopy butt feathers, trimming might help the issue.

If she doesn't have poopy butt feathers, then a small amount of poop may be coming out with the egg......
.....not sure there's anything you can do about that, its just part of having chickens.

Last edited:
Thank you both! The last few eggs have come out clean, so I'm not sure what the problem was but hopefully it will keep up. I will try trimming around her vent if it starts up again. She's not that friendly, so it will definitely be a two person job. :)

Poopy butt feathers is one reason why poop gets deposited on eggs, but there's another reason, and it goes to individual temperament and physiology.

I have a fleet of Welsummers. Five of them, all different in temperament. I've noticed a few always leave poop on the eggs they lay. These are also hens who are nervous about being handled and seem to involuntarily lose their poop when I pick them up. It seems to happen every time I handle them. I have a hunch they may just have weak control of their poop chute.

I have a few layers who have a tendency to deposit poop on their butt feathers as they poop, and those eggs are almost always dirty. There is really no alternative but to wash them. Most of us who keep chickens have a few layers who give us poopy eggs. No big deal.

Back
Top Bottom