EE, Polish and Maran....I hope they are girls! :)

Mamaperreca

Chirping
9 Years
May 16, 2010
Missouri
You all have me chicken crazy. LOL.

I got three new chicks today. They haven't been officially sexed yet, so we got the ones we thought looked like they had the best chance of being girls. We need egg layers.
All are approximately 8 weeks old.

Polish - is there any way to tell on a polish? We got the one with the most round head feathers.

polish.jpg

Maran - I saw pictures of the parents dark red/brown eggs. This chickie has the classic black feathered feet and all that. Very little comb and its not very red.

maran.jpg

Easter Egger

She has almost no comb or waddle showing. Classic green feet and is super sweet. She lets us hold her with no fuss. Her name is Bunny.

EE+chick2.jpg

Have I convinced you all they are girls yet?
lol.png
But seriously, give me your opinions.

The only one I would be worried about is the maran, but I don't really know enough about those to say pullet or roo yet. I absolutely LOVE the polish! I didn't know they came in that color...just might have to get myself one
big_smile.png
this is off the subject but I like the shirt. LOL. I have a 7 month old and we are still bf. It is wonderful, so rewarding!

That Marans looks like a girl. I have some that have almost NO comb, and some that have small ones like your picture, but they are all girls.

The boys are really obvious huge combs, you can tell them from the girls around 4-5 weeks of age, and by 8 weeks they look like miniature adult combs/wattles.

Last edited:
OH yea! I was hoping you all would agree that they look like girls.

LindsayB - I am still BF my son who is 20 months. Although I am starting to get that mama cat syndrome where I hiss at him when he asks too much. HA HA!!

Tala - The lady had a second Maran chick who was within a week or so of this one and it had a much bigger comb. So we both thought he was a Roo.

You probably know by now but the Maran looks like a Roo to me. Here is a pic of my Maran female at that age. No combs at all. Do some females have combs and some not??? The Pullet below is 10 weeks old. And a few pics of my boys. Mine are Black Copper Marans.
6221_100_2779.jpg

Now boy:
6221_100_2742.jpg

Now a definate boy at 11 weeks old:
6221_100_2759.jpg

Last edited:
Well two weeks later and the combs on the EE and Maran have stayed the same. THe Maran doesn't seem to have any pointy Roo feathers, so I still have my fingers crossed for a girl. It seems the opinions are about 50/50 on that bird. LOL!

I should post a new picture of the Polish. She is getting a super pretty very round top hat feathers. She is very friendly too.

Jordan Family,

I think these might be your birds? Do you live off the Outer Road? I came down your way and got these three a couple weeks ago with my kids. If this Maran turns out a Roo, I may have to come back for some more girls. HA HA>

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom