EE pullet named Julie, not acting very lady like. Pictures.

chirpingcricket

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Fairhope, AL
Hello all,
Need help on gender/breed. I picked up Julie, (black and red) around July 4th. Owner said she was EE and all birds in that pen were pullets. A week goes by, I return to pick up another pullet. This time he says they are Americauna/EE's. (?? OK with me either way) I pick up Goldie, (black and yellow) and bring her home. They are about 3 months old.

The 2 birds quickly went through the pecking scenario and are getting along great. Until 2 days ago...
Julie has started grabbing Goldie behind the neck, jumping on her back, rocking her like ROO's do, and jumping back off. Goldie, gets up, shakes it off like any good hen will do when she's been rocked by her roo and they go along as if nothing happened. Until, Julie decides to do that again, 2 to 3 times a day. Julie has never crowed.

I was on the EE thread a few nights ago and read that a bird that has red feathers on it's chest and shoulders is usually a Roo. I started thinking, oh no. I called the owner and he assured me that Julie is a pullet. I understand that determining sex on EE's is difficult. Either way, I love both birds and will keep them.

Soooo, I snapped the pictures below to see if you could give me some insight to this situation.
Do I need to change Julie's name to Rocky? Can you please tell me if Goldie is a girl? Please, Please, thanks!!!!

85485_julie_vs_roo_030.jpg

Whoops. I doubt that you meant to post 10 duplicate pics! How old is your bird? Can you get a picture of him/her standing so we can see legs and tail feathers as well?

Back
Top Bottom