EE pullet or rooster

Curlyginger

Songster
5 Years
Jun 14, 2014
Massachusetts
This is Feather, my EE chick. I purchased her as an Ameraucana, but from everything I've since read, she's actually an EE (I'm new to chickens, so please go easy with me on this). The chicks are now 4 weeks old. She is the only one of her kind my flock of four, so I have nothing else to compare her too. Can anyone let me know if he/she is a pullet or a rooster? I've looked at the sexing info on them, but I know it can be difficult to determine with EEs (unless an egg pops out). Here are a few photos:

Can you elaborate on the barring? I didn't know about this with EEs.
it's not a guarantee, but typically people will make sex links by putting a solid colored rooster over a barred hen. In this mating, the boys will have a white spot on their head and grow up to have barring. The girls will be black with no dot.

However, if it was a barred cock over any hen (either ameraucana or easter egger) it doesn't work the same way, and I believe both boys and girls will come out with barring.

it's not a guarantee, but typically people will make sex links by putting a solid colored rooster over a barred hen. In this mating, the boys will have a white spot on their head and grow up to have barring. The girls will be black with no dot.

However, if it was a barred cock over any hen (either ameraucana or easter egger) it doesn't work the same way, and I believe both boys and girls will come out with barring.
I thought this was only with sex link birds. barred rock over RIR. I wasn't aware that this could be extended to other barred breeds. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom