EE Rooster Question

xcalibor67

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
I have noticed my EE rooster, which is about 17 weeks old has started grabbing a few of my hens by the back of the neck, but has not tried to mount, or not that i have seen. Is this a sign of him maturing, and will be trying to mount soon?

It's a sign that he's getting aggressive and asserting dominance--roos learn to fight each other before they learn to mate, in most cases. Grabbing the neck is really a sign of hormones, which means that he may want to mate soon, but he probably has no interest for now--grabbing the back of the neck is how my rooster chases off the younger pullets, and how my one monogamous rooster gets rid of the unwanted hens who are stealing his girl's feed.

Grabbing back of neck is a sign of dominance and/or mating.
He may not actually be mounting because the target is not submitting(squatting),
but 17 weeks is old enough once he figures out how.
They can start that grabbing business at 11-12 weeks, I have one now...soon to be grilled.

Grabbing back of neck is a sign of dominance and/or mating.
He may not actually be mounting because the target is not submitting(squatting),
but 17 weeks is old enough once he figures out how.
They can start that grabbing business at 11-12 weeks, I have one now...soon to be grilled.
Do you have other roosters

Thanks. All the hens and him are about the same age. I havent seen any squatting, and any attempt of him mounting yet. Will keep an eye out. No other Roo's.

Back
Top Bottom