Effect of Autosomal Red on silver duckwing

Autosomal Pheomelanin can be seen better in Wheaten hens. Wheaten basically extends the Salmon coloration of the hen's breast to the entire body. The darkest females look cinnamon and the Aph^I females will have a soft cream tone one the under-body.

Cubalaya Hen s+/, aph/aph
1662499874659.png

What about males?
It's much harder to spot for males, red shoulders are not enough.

Perhaps the best example of a breed where you see this effect more is on Salmon Faverolle, You will see males without red shoulders and very pale females(nearly white under-body) others you will see very well salmon patterned breasts and red shoulders, both are Silver at the sex lined s locus. No gold diluters like recessive cream or dominant Di dilute.

Last edited:
S/- aph/aph female with well defined patterned Salmon colored breast

1662501703250.png

Likely a S/-, Aph^I/Aph^I

1662501978632.png

Salmon Faverolles don't have any other Pheomelanin diluters or inhibitors like cream(ig), Dilute(Di), Champagne Blond(Cb). Just Sex linked Silver(S)

Last edited:
S/- aph/aph female with well defined patterned Salmon colored breast

View attachment 3250847

Likely a S+/-, Aph^I/Aph^I

View attachment 3250851

Salmon Faverolles don't have any other Pheomelanin diluters or inhibitors like cream(ig), Dilute(Di), Champagne Blond(Cb). Just Sex linked Silver(S)
So the second is actually gold based wheaten? What would happen if it was silver wheaten with the Aph^I? Do Faverolles have mahogany?

It's much harder to spot for males, red shoulders are not enough.

Perhaps the best example of a breed where you see this effect more is on Salmon Faverolle, You will see males without red shoulders and very pale females(nearly white under-body) others you will see very well salmon patterned breasts and red shoulders, both are Silver at the sex lined s locus. No gold diluters like recessive cream or dominant Di dilute.
I'm curious about silver duckwings.
My females all have good salmon breasts but the males don't show red shoulders. How does that work that they breed true for females to show it but males never do.
Then when crossed with gold duckwing some males show it and others dont.

I'm curious about silver duckwings.
My females all have good salmon breasts but the males don't show red shoulders. How does that work that they breed true for females to show it but males never do.
Then when crossed with gold duckwing some males show it and others dont.
That can be explained by the presence of a Pheomelanin diluter that cleans the shoulder on male feathered birds.

To me Aph^I seems to have a stronger effect on Female Feathered birds, but I have yet to see a e+ hen feather rooster with pale/cream breast(I am in search of one as we speak for a project of mine).

Autosomal red is quite the complex trait. Multiple genes at work(s+,S, Mh, aph+,Aph, Di, di+, Cb,cb, Ig,ig+, dk etc)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom