Egg Binding??? HELP!

adcockfarm

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Southern California
Hi... We have a 3 yr old Welsummer hen and she has been laying down, lethargic, walking like a penguin, panting, and i haven't seen her eat or drink... BUT... it has been at least 4 days as her acting like this, and i read they can die within 24-48 hrs. Could it be anything other than egg binding?

Hi... We have a 3 yr old Welsummer hen and she has been laying down, lethargic, walking like a penguin, panting, and i haven't seen her eat or drink... BUT... it has been at least 4 days as her acting like this, and i read they can die within 24-48 hrs. Could it be anything other than egg binding?
Have you read this and have you actually felt inside her yet for an egg?
Egg Binding: Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

How does this sound?

Bright yellow droppings can be a sign of E.coli infection, egg yolk material from egg yolk peritonitis or oviduct infection, and more rarely in chickens than turkeys, blackhead disease (histmoniasis.) What medicine are you using? Can you get a vet to see her, and do a fecal test and gramstain?

3 yr old..laying down, lethargic, walking like a penguin, panting, and i haven't seen her eat or drink...yellowish runny stool

Hi @adcockfarm I'm sorry your hen is not doing well.
How does her abdomen feel - bloated, fluid filled?

From your description it sounds like she may have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Symptoms include lethargy, going off feed, swelling or fluid in the abdomen, penguin stance, lameness, difficulty breathing and sometimes runny poop that looks like it has egg in it.

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do but give supportive care if this is what's going on with your girl. Antibiotics are not that effective. Fluids can sometime be drained to give comfort and make breathing easier. If you have a vet that can examine her - xrays can usually tell more about what's happening.
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

Let us know how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom