Egg Binding

mebuff daisy

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
One of my 3 year old Redstars has been acting very strange for the past 3 weeks.
Walking like a person and though she will eat some treats her breast bone is very sharp
sad.png

I just found this huge lump by her vent, it feels like there is an egg in there
She is in a cage right now but I do not know what to do
Any advice will be very appreciated
Thanks

Help! 6 month old Cuckoo Marans pullet trying to lay her first egg and appears to be egg bound. Noticed it about 4 hours ago. Have given her a warm soak and blow dry, dissolved a Tums in some water and managed to get a good amount of that into her, I'd say maybe half an extra strength Tums. I lubed her up with Ky jelly also. I put a finger in her vent and can feel the egg. It feels pretty big and it is right inside her vent. I don't know if I should try to help start the egg out or not. I have an appointment with the vet 1st thing in the morning, but the vet who normally sees the chickens is on vacation and the other exotics vet is covering for her (but he specializes in reptiles, so not sure how familiar he is with chickens). Should I do anything else tonight? I feel like the egg is just on the verge of coming out, and it almost feels like if I'm gentle I might be able to help her get it started coming out but I'm worried about doing too much to help because I don't want to break the egg. Also, just two months ago I almost lost this girl to coccidiosis and spent two weeks nursing her back from the brink, so I really don't want to lose her to her first egg! Any advice would be appreciated!

How is she?

-Kathy
She passed the egg at around 3:30 this morning. Woke us up with her announcement since she was in the laundry room. There was a bit of blood, but she is up and eating. Went ahead and kept our vet appointment and the vet recommended supplementing with liquid calcium for the next two weeks to make sure she is getting enough calcium and to try to prevent any further problems. Thanks for asking!

Well, I had a hen called sarah and she passed having the same issues. It wasnt pleasant as she was a real sweety. A bowl of nearly hot water to ease her rear into a sit bath was reccomended to me. So I tried it and it worked. She laid the most deformed egg I had ever seen. Internal infection got her and I recognized the problem way too late. Rub her stomach while you have her in the hot bath. She may not like it at first but will soon feel comforted and relax. Give that a try and I hope it helps.

A very sick bird should not be bathed... Instead, I suggest that one fill their bathroom with steam and place the bird in there. Of course this will only work if the lump is actually an egg.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom