Egg Bound AGAIN

BirdRN

Chirping
Aug 27, 2017
Sheridan, WY
Hi, I have lost two of my hens within the last 3 months from being egg bound. One was a Buff Orpington and the other a Red Star. I researched this website and believe this is what happened to them. They eat normal chicken feed, for laying hens, bought from Tractor Supply. Plus I occasionally give them corn scraps and dried worms. Is there a vitamin or mineral I should supplement them with? These are my girls and we were pretty upset with the loss. Any advise would be appreciated.

What symptoms made you think egg bound? Which isn't very common. There are many reasons chickens die. How old were they?

Sex links like your red star are prone to reproductive cancers and often don't live long because of it.

A good ration should have all the vitamins and minerals necessary. Layer ration is formulated to be fed as the sole ration so extras should be less than 10% of the daily diet. Always provide a separate bowl of oyster shells, and access to grit.

They are only 2 years old and we're healthy up until 3 months ago. The first one, the Buff Orpington, started vomiting and had liquid stool. She wasn't producing eggs and seemed uncomfortable. I thought it would pass but I was wrong. The second one, the red star, vomited as well and had a longish type egg stuck. Even after removing it she passed. I just cleaned the coop the best I could in case it's something else. The other 4 appear to be okay but so did the ones who died.

I'm sorry to hear about your girls :(. It sounds a little like internal laying or ascites to me, which is unfortunately more common in those types of breeds. I've had a buff, what I believe was a golden commet, and two production reds pass from it myself. Ascites and internal laying are very similar in symptoms, from what I've seen they are swollen tight or squishy abdomen, respiratory distress, liquid or green stools, puking water or fluid. And a stop or decline of egg production. The fluid is either egg yolks that continue to drop into the body cavity, or ascites fluid that is caused by cancer or organ failure. In both cases the fluid builds up in the body cavity, putting pressure on organs, the hen can reabsorb some fluid, and they often lose weight to make room for the fluid. But eventually it is fatal. There's no known cure for it, but you can give them some relief by draining them with a syringe. This isn't a cure but it gives them great relief and can prolong their life. It depends on the bird, but some can live a long and happy life with it, here's an account of my last girl if you think this is what your hen may have. I'll post it bellow. Hope this was helpful, I'm sorry about your hens. This may not be what they had, but it's something to think about. Ps the pressure on her insides could have warped and made that egg stuck inside her, just a speculation but I thought I should mention it.

Thank you for the info. I guess I just need to accept that they aren't quite as hardy as say a dog or cat. I'll just have to keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom