Egg bound - any common factors?

ridley

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 24, 2014
Hi All,

Today I lost another one of my trio due to egg bound / peritonitis. I had 2 Brahmas and a Barnevelder now it its the one Brahma.

My question is is there any possible cause? Two out of three seems a really high ratio particularity in a short space of time - The first one was in May and the 2nd one today. Just seems either really unlucky or some common issue / cause? Are these breeds more prone than others?

They free range in a large area (for 3 birds), have fresh water daily, layered pellets, hen house is fully cleaned regularly but not excessively, access to oyster shell & grit and wormed. I've done everything i can think of by the book but I think i must be doing something wrong. Could it be diet? Both were in great shape and full of energy until they became sick. They didn't seem fat - hard to tell with the Brahmas as their feathers are really full now - but vets weighed them and they seemed ok.

In both cases the vets remarked on how they were in such good condition, feathers were good, healthy, clear eyed, skin was perfect - no mites or ticks yet in both cases they had to be put down.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of new chickens at the weekend, the remaining one seems a bit lost by herself, but i don't want to put any others though the same if its something i'm doing wrong or something i'm not doing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that.
sad.png

I've lost hens to egg-binding as well. Causes include:
Too large eggs, deformed eggs, and weakness of the reproductive tract. Genetics can play a roll in it.

Egg-binding and peritonitis are different forms of egg laying troubles. Egg-binding is when a hen can't pass an egg, peritonitis is when the egg yolks begin to collect in the abdomen of the chicken.

I doubt you are doing anything wrong, if it truly is egg binding or peritonitis that is causing it, as you sound like you are taking wonderful care of them.

Best of luck finding wonderful new birds!
smile.png

Thanks for the replies all. Good info on that link- cheers.

The first one Britta the barnevelder was egg bound, Goldie our brahma who went today was egg peritonitis - according to the vet.

I say according to the vet as i just don't have the experience to say either way.

Her eggs weren't unusual in size, I have lots locations where oyster shell and grit are available, she wasn't too fat - the only other thing could possible vitamins. Just since she free ranged is it possible that she wasn't getting much as she should / right balance? May be not eating enough pellets?

I don't know, just don't want to make the same mistakes again - if i am making mistakes.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom