egg bound, bowel issues? cull?

nurselisa13

Chirping
May 16, 2021
sorry for the graphic post....
so a few days ago i saw her hanging out, isolated her, started spa treatment and tums. she did have an egg which she passed yesterday w/ some help, intact. I don't feel an egg in her now, she's not pulsating as much, but she her inners won't stay in even w/ holding for 10-15 minutes. My pictures don't look like nice intact tissue, it looks and feels like poop is stuck in pockets of her and looks like tissue is dying, is that what others see as well? this is my fist experience with this. She is a fighter, she's been attacked twice, most recently was about 2 months ago when a dog got a hold of her, near her tailfeathers, left a big hole which did heal, I never did see anything near her vent but I could have missed something...

do I keep trying to make an innie? or should she be culled at this point? she's still alert, no longer eating and is drinking a little.
20210516_150919.jpg

20210516_150845.jpg

20210516_151045.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/ That's an article I wrote in order to be able to help folks like you deal with this issue.

In my experience, when there's a prolapse, it's because of a second egg trying to come out or residual egg material remaining from a broken egg. Continue the calcium. You could give one more Tums this evening. I prefer calcium citrate as it works faster and is more easily digested, but Tums will work.

Don't do anything more to try to push the prolapse back in beyond cleaning it every few hours to reduce the chance of infection, and using an astringent such as witch hazel and treat the swelling with cortisone cream to make her more comfortable. Be careful not to scrub and irritate the vent as it will just make it worse.

The prolapse will resolve once the obstructed material finally clears.

Sorry about your hen. As long as the prolapse is outside, keep it from drying so that the tissue does not die. Honey, sugar and a couple of drops of water made into a syrup, or a mild oil of your choice are all good. Some people will try to stop laying temporarily by placing the hen in the dark in a cage for 16 out of every 24 hours. This takes several days to accomplish. It helps to keep trying to puch it back inside and hold it there when possible. Here is a good article about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Back
Top Bottom