Egg bound but not?

janick

Hatching
May 17, 2023
I have a bantam hen that is new to us, who layed one egg, then several days later was found laying on her side in the pen with her mated rooster. When you tried to stand her up she would topple forward. Her cloaca was pushing so we thought egg bound. Cloaca is clear and doesnt seem injured. We have tried the warm bath method two days in a row, two and three times each day, kept her in the house, and she perked up a bit, ate, drank, pooped, but no egg. Since she was doing better and standing on her own, we put her out in the barn with some chicks who have a heater in their pen and who will not pester her. She is now back to tumbling over and so stays laying on her side.

Should I keep trying warm bath? Is there something else that presents like egg bound but isnt? I'm at a loss.

If she's pooping, she isn't egg bound.
What's her diet? Have you tried vitamin therapy for a stress related vitamin deficiency.
She is new to us. We feed a producers pride layer pellets. Havent tried vitamins. Recommendations?

She is new to us. We feed a producers pride layer pellets. Havent tried vitamins. Recommendations?
You can get these at the grocery store.
400 I. U vitamin E and a sliver of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks.
How long did you quarantine them? Do you know if they're vaccinated against mereks?

Did she only lay one egg or has she been laying since you got her?

How big is the rooster that she mated with? Is he a bantam as well?

Are you keeping her separate from the flock?

Can we see a picture of your lovely little hen? Just in case there’s something visible.

Can we see a picture of your lovely little hen? Just in case there’s something visible.

The rooster is a Belgian D'Uccle as well. We had them in a separate cage together for about 2 weeks. She laid one egg in the second week, then nothing, then this.

I now have her separate, in a 5 gallon bucket with feed and water which she happily takes. The bucket allows her to keep herself propped up.

Attachments

• 20230518_162415_09.jpg
    20230518_162415_09.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 14
You can get these at the grocery store.
400 I. U vitamin E and a sliver of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks.
How long did you quarantine them? Do you know if they're vaccinated against mereks?
Quarantined 2 weeks. They are vaccinated. We are starting to rebuild a flock after a weasel wiped us out.

Quarantined 2 weeks. They are vaccinated. We are starting to rebuild a flock after a weasel wiped us out.
I will try the vitamins. If I hold her up or let her prop up in the bucket she happily eats and drinks

Does she seem stiff? Try moving her legs and her wings to see if she is stiff.
When you go to pick her up does she flop or does she resist?
Can she stand up? Or is she almost paralyzed.

When she falls over, its like she's tipping herself forward because her tail is up. When she falls forward her legs pedal. And they move when I pick her up.. She doesn't resist being picked up.

Back
Top Bottom