Egg bound!! But still energetic

jennyellers

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2023
My 1 year old copper maran is probably egg bound.
She lays very large eggs so this isn't a shock, I always watch her closely. She's still laying, laid an egg this morning in fact. But I believe she has a very large egg stuck, it's hanging lower between her legs. I gave her an Epsom salt bath yesterday. I've heard VERY mixed reviews on massaging the area so I have not. But I did push her torso up to try & encourage any pushing in the bath. So far zero luck.

She's still VERY strong & energetic. She has an appetite & normal mobility. I wasn't even certain she was egg bound until she was soaking wet & I saw the bulge.

What more can I do for her? I don't want her to be a lost cause so young

If she laid an egg this morning and she's moving around, energetic, eating/drinking, then she's not egg bound.

Photos of the abdomen, the bulge may be helpful.

It may be what you are seeing of feeling is a fat pad, fluid, etc.

What do you feed, including treats?

If she laid an egg this morning and she's moving around, energetic, eating/drinking, then she's not egg bound.

They're fed dumor 16% layer feed. Also free range. For treats they get vegetable scraps frequently (majority: melon rinds, squash seeds, cucumbers, carrot tops, apple cores with no seeds) occasionally oats & sunflower seeds/wild birdseed.
They'll get leftover tumeric rice occasionally.
In the winter they get a bit of beef fat & Far fewer veggie scraps, mainly just feed.

I'll send photos soon!

Photos:

Attachments

• PXL_20230709_193702259.jpg
    PXL_20230709_193702259.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230709_193731920.jpg
    PXL_20230709_193731920.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230709_193727775.jpg
    PXL_20230709_193727775.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 10

Photos:

My 1 year old copper maran is probably egg bound.
She lays very large eggs so this isn't a shock, I always watch her closely. She's still laying, laid an egg this morning in fact. But I believe she has a very large egg stuck, it's hanging lower between her legs. I gave her an Epsom salt bath yesterday. I've heard VERY mixed reviews on massaging the area so I have not. But I did push her torso up to try & encourage any pushing in the bath. So far zero luck.

She's still VERY strong & energetic. She has an appetite & normal mobility. I wasn't even certain she was egg bound until she was soaking wet & I saw the bulge.

What more can I do for her? I don't want her to be a lost cause so young
I have 2 hens woke up at 8am today to let them out went back out there at 12 and 1 was dead in the coop I think she died from being egg bound she was fine last night don't know what else it could be I miss her already she was apart of the family 😔 now my other hen misses her and is looking for her they were like twins been together since day 1

They're fed dumor 16% layer feed. Also free range. For treats they get vegetable scraps frequently (majority: melon rinds, squash seeds, cucumbers, carrot tops, apple cores with no seeds) occasionally oats & sunflower seeds/wild birdseed.
They'll get leftover tumeric rice occasionally.
In the winter they get a bit of beef fat & Far fewer veggie scraps, mainly just feed.

I'll send photos soon!
She does have a bulge doesn't she.

Hard to tell if it's fat, a hernia, a bit of fluid or ?

If she's eating/drinking/laying and not having any current issues, then I'd just monitor her.

Back
Top Bottom