Egg bound calcium dosage

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
My Red is lethargic, not eating/drinking since yesterday. Today her belly is distended and I caught her standing in the nest box for over an hour (didnt see when she went in).

I gave her a warm bath for 20min and she started panting (she's always the first to complain about warm weather). I felt around the inside of the vent and i *think* i felt a soft egg.
I came across a few articles on calcium injection for egg impaction, but no dosage info.
I have "poultry nutri-drench" that has 0.4-0.7% calcium and is taken orally. I also bought "calcium gluconate 23%" for cattle/sheep. Will one of these work?? How much calcium is needed to expel the egg?

Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook says 50-100mg/kg

http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf
Here is a copy and paste from above link:

DRUG NAME SPECIES DOSAGE (mg/kg unless otherwise stated) ROUTE DOSAGE INTERVAL C.I.** REFERENCE COMMENTS (see references for duration, precautions and
contraindications)Calcium Gluconate Avian 100-300 IM-SC NL E 1480 Add phytonadione for bleeding syndrome
Calcium Gluconate Avian 5-10 IM-SC BID E 1473
Calcium Gluconate Avian 50-100 IV NL E 1473 Slowly to effect
Calcium Gluconate Avian 5-10 IM NL E 1474
Calcium Gluconate Avian 50-100 IV NL E 1474 Give slowly, follow with oxytocin ordinoprostone for egg binding, may addvitamin E + selenium
Calcium Gluconate Avian 100-300 SC NL E 148

Can you please help me decipher this? I prefer orally- but will do SQ if I have to. It says follow with oxy- which I don't have (ill call the farm supply in the morn and see if they sell it)

She is a 2yr old RIR- I'm guessing 5# or so. How many MLs? If I give it orally does it need to be diluted? And twice a day for how long (or am I reading it wrong)?

Thank you so much for helping me!!! I'm so scared I'm going to loose her - she is the sweetest chicken :(

How did your chicken do? I have an egg bound chicken currently and on my way to buy the calcium gluconate. I don't understand the dosage information...maybe you had success and could help me out. Thank you.

For a subcutaneous injection, 0.5 to 0.75 CC once daily is sufficient. SC is preferable to oral, as use of a calcium & vit E supplement like Walmart Wellnesse formula can be given at a rate of 1 CC orally (use syringe minus the needle). A drench has vitamins but insufficient calcium for the desired purpose.

How did your chicken do? I have an egg bound chicken currently and on my way to buy the calcium gluconate. I don't understand the dosage information...maybe you had success and could help me out. Thank you.

The calcium gluconate has 230mg per 1ml (cc) and the range I have seen mentioned is anywhere from 50-300mg/kg. My small bantams get 1cc and my larger hens get 3-5cc.

-Kathy

Thank you! Do you give it orally? I am not sure how to give it intravenously...I have a needle and could do it just not sure where you stick them....

Back
Top Bottom