Egg Bound Gambels Quail

Joeysmom

Chirping
Jun 26, 2022
I have posted previously about Joey my gambels quail. She has a history of being eggbound with every egg she lays. Which one about every 4 days. She went thru a molt and had a 2 1/2 month reprieve, however it has started again. She has been to the vet several times . More than likely a reproductive issue . She was given prostaglandin twice . I feel as though I have gotten better advice here and more information from the internet to help her. Her last egg 4 days ago I gave her crushed tums with water from a dropper. Couple drops olive oil and also lubricated her vent . This definitely helped the process go quicker. I also have an anti inflammatory /pain med I gave her. I also have an antibiotic in case of infection. My question is how much calcium to give to help expel the egg. I’ve read a couple drops of liquid calcium with D3. Also about crushing the tums. She is on an egg laying diet crumbles . Oyster shells and crushed eggshells . Seeds , and veggies as well. Any input is appreciated ..
she is an extremely healthy happy lively bird when she isn’t laying eggs.
Thank you all

Can you describe her symptoms? Is she egg bound, or just having a hard time laying? Is she straining or panting?

Can you describe her symptoms? Is she egg bound, or just having a hard time laying? Is she straining or panting?
She gets extremely lethargic, can’t stand , and panting. Trouble breathing . She doesn’t seem to be straining . It’s almost like the egg seems to get stuck higher in the reproductive track. After 36 hours she perks up a little can breathe and move . Shortly after she lays her egg. Her eggs have been both soft and perfectly formed. Doesn’t make the process any different. X rays showed what looks like 2 other eggs higher in the track along with the egg she is trying to lay. The doctor just called them “masses” and didn’t give much info. I will attach the pictures .
It is so distressing that every 4-6 days this happens . Thank you for any insight !

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpeg
    IMG_1658.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1659.jpeg
    IMG_1659.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 6
She gets extremely lethargic, can’t stand , and panting. Trouble breathing . She doesn’t seem to be straining . It’s almost like the egg seems to get stuck higher in the reproductive track. After 36 hours she perks up a little can breathe and move . Shortly after she lays her egg. Her eggs have been both soft and perfectly formed. Doesn’t make the process any different. X rays showed what looks like 2 other eggs higher in the track along with the egg she is trying to lay. The doctor just called them “masses” and didn’t give much info. I will attach the pictures .
It is so distressing that every 4-6 days this happens . Thank you for any insight !
I’m so sorry. That sounds rough. Poor hen. How old is she? And when did this behavior start? When you say her eggs are ‘soft’, are they squishy?

I’m so sorry. That sounds rough. Poor hen. How old is she? And when did this behavior start? When you say her eggs are ‘soft’, are they squishy?Yes. Squishy yet there is a very thin shell.. but she has also laid perfect eggs!

Attachments

• 70199247381__4D97E177-D847-46A5-9809-421719A9F140.jpeg
    70199247381__4D97E177-D847-46A5-9809-421719A9F140.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1295.jpeg
    IMG_1295.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 6
Sorry I wrote in the wrong spot! She started laying eggs at about 8.5 months old. Laid 10 eggs in about 2.5 months . I first thought it was a diet issue as her first eggs were soft. But it continued with every egg..

@Nabiki will have some good insight for you.

If you go to the main forum page, and scroll quite a ways down, you should see the "quail" forum. As helpful and kind as the chicken people are here, the quail folks are far more familiar with the ever so different little quail.

The calcium is important, but if she has an egg stuck now, I would give her a gentle epsom salt bath. Make sure the water is warm, but not hot. You want it to be about her body temp or a couple degrees warmer.

Let her soak in the warm water for a while and see if she lays. You can also take a q-tip with food grade oil and gently rub it around her vent.

Does she have calcium available at all times? Most quail will eat as much as they need if it's provided on the side in a separate dish.

The calcium is important, but if she has an egg stuck now, I would give her a gentle epsom salt bath. Make sure the water is warm, but not hot. You want it to be about her body temp or a couple degrees warmer.

Let her soak in the warm water for a while and see if she lays. You can also take a q-tip with food grade oil and gently rub it around her vent.

Does she have calcium available at all times? Most quail will eat as much as they need if it's provided on the side in a separate dish.

Thank you. She is not egg bound at the moment . But any day now she will be laying again. Thank you for the info :) yes I have calcium upstairs and downstairs for her and also cuttlebones ..

Back
Top Bottom