Egg bound (?) hen

mdelhomme

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Spokane, WA
I have a 2 yr old hen who is acting like she doesn't feel well. lots of sitting, I thought she was going to lay an egg in my compost pile yesterday, but she didn't. her lower half is very fluffed out. I don't know what a penguin walk is, but she's walking slowly, although she did run from me when I was trying to catch her for exam. I gave her a warm bath and cleaned off her hiney. She has been having pretty liquid stools. Did an internal exam after the bath and thought I felt two eggs. I have never had a finger up a chicken's butt before so not sure what kind of bony prominences I might also be feeling. Very obvious egg shaped object in lower abdomen and another up higher, smaller, closer to her spine area. I have no idea if this is normal or not, and which one should come out first. I have her in a pen in the house for now. have given her ground up oyster shell in some water (going out for Tums next, as all I have is pepcid and not sure if the famotidine is ok. Currently she is sitting quietly in her bin. Called the avian vet and they said more bathing tonight and tomorrow a.m. and if still no egg bring her in. I would prefer to solve this problem at home because the vet is $68 just for exam. Any thoughts on a dose of castor oil? Probably will pick up some KY and give her a KY enema this eve. Other advise? Belly massage? Reiki? Essential oils? :(

Calcium, calm and warmth. If she tires of the baths, you can place a damp towel over a heating pad and let her sit on that. Do you have any calcium citrate? It’s actually not too difficukt to pull a chicken. If you can’t, you could always crush the calcium and hide it in food. Done people sprinkle it over scrambled egg, but I prefer to put it in raw egg yolk. Please keep us posted.

Nothing happening so far. She does look a little perkier today and she is drinking well (I put Calcium in her water). But she isn't eating that I have seen. Back to the tub with her!

Back
Top Bottom