Egg bound or Pullorum? Help?

SimplyMe_AngieD

Songster
12 Years
Aug 14, 2011
My Humble Manor
We have a very wierd issue.

In the last 1 month we have lost 2 of the speckled sussex pullets.

We had 5 Speckled Sussexes They were/are 8 months old. None of the 5 sussex we had started laying yet. We lost one 3 weeks ago and lost one last night.

They appear to be healthy and eating and drinking just fine. Scratching and foraging just fine. Then they both just went lathargic and within hours died. Their combs appear normal but suddenly go pale. The first pullet had no diarrhea (sp?). But the one that died yesterday started having diarrhea right before she went lethargic.

We use 20% protien feed. With vitamins dropps in the water. And supplement with veggie scraps from my work and greens from the garden. I have not had this issue ever. No breathing issues that I no of. Clear eyes and clear nostrils.

We did worm but I thought a different wormer would help??? I bought a different wormer and administered it yesterday afternoon in water. The pullet seemed to perk up a bit and was eating and drinking just fine. She went into the coop just fine with the other hens. This am we found her dead.

She had a full crop and didn't appear thin.

3 weeks ago they were free ranging. They have been confined for the last two weeks. So not sure what it was? Any ideas? Egg bound? None of the others have layed yet?

We got these from a hatchery. They were pullorum tested months ago and came up negative. But maybe a bird transfered it in?

We have a small urban flock. We have other breeds that are older and still seem to be thriving.

Last edited:
Did you give her Wazine? If so, you might want to do a necropsy and see if you can find and roundworms in her intestines.

-Kathy

What were they vaccinated for? I would treat them all for possible coccidiosis, since you have lost two lately. They are older for cocci, but lethargy and diarrhea are some of the symptoms which include puffing up or hunching, ruffled feather, and not eating. Treat with Corid (amprollium) for 5 days. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water, change each day. I would also worm them with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeated in 10 days. How much of the SafeGuard did you give, and did you repeat it after 10 days?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom