Egg Bound - Ovaduct wash?

The eyedropper fits perfectly into the larger hose I have. I think I have some syringes with needles, but I don't remember if the needles are detachable. The hoses are clean on the inside, some dust on the outside. I think I'll run some peroxide followed by a lot of water through whatever I use to be safe..
Be sure to melt the end of the hose with a lighter to make the edges smooth. Sharp edges can damage their mouth, esophagus and crop. get yourself a large syringe, 'cause using an eye dropper will be too difficult to get the proper amount of water in her. Tube warmed fluids at 10 ml per pound, wait 60-90 minutes, then tube more fluids if crop has mostly cleared.

-Kathy

I got something working with a 12cc syringe. (The needle did screw off.) It was the same size as the hose I used, and both fit snugly into a small straw. One end of the hose is worn roundish and relatively soft, and the other was tapered, so it fit well into the straw. I gave 15cc so far, (5 at a time, because she got the hose out of her mouth around 5cc, and after 15cc, she tried to lay an egg again, but still no sign of it.) She seemed to be content after the first 10 mL Since she'll take two or more syringes at a time, I'll try to go extra carefully until I can get a better device. Thanks for all the help!

A while ago, she started moving a large piece of wood ash around with her beak. I went to get a bug to see if she was interested, but she was drowsy when I came back. Then, while I wasn't looking, a few minutes ago, she passed a yellow thing with lots of liquid. There were some green bits and white on top. I thought maybe it was a more solid dropping, but It looks like a piece of scrambled egg about the size of an egg yolk. I did feed her scrambled egg a few days ago. I think she passed some of it last night, when I was there, and she's been in her egg-laying stance, since then, with no result. It seems dryer than a normal egg yolk. No shell. I didn't really see a membrane, though it looks like something could have burst. Could it have been a shellless egg, or is this a dropping? I removed some green bits from her vent. It smells sweet.

EDIT: .Post #19 of https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/634549/stinky-bum-with-yellow-poop-vent-gleet/10 describes it. How do you treat vent gleet?

http://canarytales.blogspot.com/2014/01/first-aid-pasted-caked-vent.html makes it sound like candida, and uterine infection.

Some treatments are mentioned at http://www.toomanychickens.net/2013/09/06/vent-gleet-vent-gleet/

Little's been eating yogurt when she wouldn't eat anything else.

Last edited:
Vent gleet just means that they have fluid leaking out of their vents. It can be cause by parasites, bacterial infections or fungal infections. Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

I can't find anything on uterine infections. Would you have a vet recommendation for such a thing? I'm looking at the vet links you posted. I haven't found a chicken vet around here, before, but maybe I can find one to email or call or something to see if I can do something.

She doesn't have fluid leaking, except maybe that one splash and diarrhea. She avoids dirtying herself, and I try to keep her place clean. I didn't notice any streaks or anything, even with these happenings.

The "yolk" part is basically round. I opened it up, but I'm not sure if I see layers. I'm going to look at it with a different light...

Update: It has a pit with a similar shape, though I may have made it when picking it up against a wood chip or there may have been dark green gel stuff inside that fell out. It also has a small round 1mm air pocket and there seems to be a pattern of nearly perfect straight lines of tiny pockets, discolorations or striations of some kind throughout the yellow under an LED light, but not really layers like those pictures have. It's looks like it's made of powder. That 1mm air pocket is several lines wide, but none are seen in the pocket's interior The white part on top fell off and deteriorated fast. Small dark green bits were separate, though there may have been a larger one attached to the pit in the yellow one. It's deteriorating to look more like flour, now, and I can't really see the perfect straight lines, anymore. I see some white things like really tiny balloons.

Last edited:
The "yolk" part is basically round. I opened it up, but I'm not sure if I see layers. I'm going to look at it with a different light...

Can you post a picture of it? If it is salpingitis, probably best to start an antibiotic like Baytril.

-Kathy

I wish I had taken a picture of it at first. It looks like corn starch that got wet and dried to cakes, now.

EDIT: Sorry, I made a mistake the last time I went to look, and confused the two droppings. I'm not used to this camera, but I'm trying to get pictures of both the yolk thing and the dropping I originally thought was partially digested scrambled egg (the disintegrating one.) I now wonder if these fell from the uterus before being dropped. She wasn't in an egg-laying stance when they came out, and I happened to have my hand on her upper back muscles, which didn't really move, just the ones under the vent..

Someone offered a little of their human-grade antifungal nystatin, but we have no idea of dosage for a chicken of around 3-4 lbs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom