Egg bound peahen

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Hello, I don't know if she is or not, but I suspect so. Drooping wings, staying by herself, not very interested in eating though she will eat treats. She's 9 years old and has not had this problem previously. I'm hoping it's something she can correct herself, but if not, how do you treat an eggbound peahen? I've read moist heat, to put them in a small cage with a wire bottom and a hot pan of water underneath, but I can't imagine her tolerating being in such a small enclosure for long. We do have hospital pens, but nothing with a wire bottom, and it would be difficult to keep it warm enough as it's still very cold here. We do have a rabbit cage, it has a sort of wire bottom, but her feet would fall through. Would very warm moist towels for her to stand on work? I also read liquid calcium works, though not sure where to get it or what the dose would be?

I'm just watching her at this point because she just started acting this way this afternoon; yesterday she was fine. But I'd like to be proactive, so that I can be prepared. I don't want to lose her, she's a favorite, and we lost a peahen several years ago that I'm sure was eggbound, though she acted eggbound almost every year and always recovered except for the last time.

I'm also wondering if not being as active would contribute to this problem. Our flock has been in lockdown for a month, because of the virus. They have plenty of room, but a lot less than normal, of course, because they can't go out.

Thoughts?

You can check for egg bound by lubing a finger and inserting it into the vent no more than up to your first joint. If she is eggbound you will feel the egg above the vent. If she is give her 5ml of calcium gluconate orally, she should drop the egg within a few hours. You can also give the CG via SQ injection as well.

If she is not eggbound then you should look at deworming or the beginning of a respiratory infection caused by the coop dust in the air.

You can check for egg bound by lubing a finger and inserting it into the vent no more than up to your first joint. If she is eggbound you will feel the egg above the vent. If she is give her 5ml of calcium gluconate orally, she should drop the egg within a few hours. You can also give the CG via SQ injection as well.

If she is not eggbound then you should look at deworming or the beginning of a respiratory infection caused by the coop dust in the air.
OH, great. I have been worried about the dust. The flock was dewormed with Levasol at the end of December and a recent fecal float from another flock member tested negative so I don't THINK it's worms. I can't easily catch her by myself and again, I'm reluctant to let other people in to help me because of the virus quarantine. Is the calcium gluconate available at a pharmacy? Wouldn't she show other symptoms if it was a respiratory infection?

Is the calcium gluconate available at a pharmacy?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-calcium-gluconate-500-ml
1650404929258.png

Refridgerate after opening.

OK, well. Hopefully I won't need it at all. She looked ok last night but was up on the roost so I couldn't tell. I keep hoping I can let the flock out sooner than later, but AI just won't go away. :(

Thank you both for the advice!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom