Egg bound? sour crop? Tried everything not sure what to do

Don't waste time getting the calcium citrate into her. We just had a hen die last week after being egg bound. She passed the egg, but didn't have enough blood calcium left to keep her heart beating. Calcium is such a simple safe mineral, but it sure is important in egg laying and keeping the heart beating.
Yes, definitely will try to get that as soon as i can. thank you. i have been giving her electrolytes that have added calcium, until i get this because im sure what im giving her is not as effective as the calcium citrate.

Don't waste time getting the calcium citrate into her. We just had a hen die last week after being egg bound. She passed the egg, but didn't have enough blood calcium left to keep her heart beating. Calcium is such a simple safe mineral, but it sure is important in egg laying and keeping the heart beating.
I completely understand your skepticism, and that "3" isn't that old, but chickens don't have near the lifespan as even dogs and cats unfortunately. I am not trying to be a negative Nancy, just being realistic and keeping things in perspective. I recently went through this with a very sweet 7 month old orpington, she started laying, all was well, then the soft eggs started, fixed that, then crop issues, fixed that, then they started again with a swollen belly...I did everything I could, antibiotics, calcium, coconut oil, stool softener, but sometimes something just isn't right in there. Listen to @azygous , she knows her stuff! I hope your hen makes it with all my heart! ❤️
Thanks guys for all your help with Garnet! thought ide give an update on how she's doing, really didnt think she was gonna make it, but turns out shes completely better eating and laying normal again. after i gave the acidified copper sulfate and epsom salts syringed, this seemed to do it! 😊

Back
Top Bottom