EGG BOUND!

11ChickenGirl11

Chirping
Apr 29, 2015
Northeast USA
Hi, I have a waddling hen that looks egg bound or constipated...I did not feel an egg but idk. She hesitates to jump from high places and this night she was sleeping outside until I saw her and put her in the coop like 15 minutes ago. At like 1 o clock, earlier today, I was in the coop, hanging out, and Fire (the chicken), was under the ramp and HEAING WITH HER EYES HALF CLOSED! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!!! I ALREADY PUT SOME WARM WATER AND "WASHED" HER, BUT SHE IS STILL WADDLING! Please, this happened last year with another one of my hens and she passed away in the winter. PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited:
She is a production red and is five years old. Her abdomen/butt area is warm and tender. She has been waddling for about 2 weeks, maybe more. I'm going to bring her to the garage in the "ER" coop.

I seriously don't know if you can't feel an egg. It could be an internal layer problem, she could have ovarian cancer, ....? Maybe start her on an antibiotic, as it seems she might have some infection. Baytril is best. for seven to ten days.

I jutted watched her poop like an hour ago and she did not have any signs of constipation. Other than being egg bound, is there any other health issue that can be like this? Maybe kidney problems? And I'm thinking of feeding her glycerin and applying it near her vent. Would that help if she is egg bound??

I don't think that's it because I looked it up and a website said that it was a condition in broilers. This hen is a production red. I did an internal exam using some Vaseline and some latex gloves but I didn't feel anything or at least didn't check in the right place...help.

Ascites can occur in any breed, for a number of reasons. You can try draining her. It will help her feel better for a while. Or, take her to a vet, is your other option. If you want to try draining her, search on this site for ascites in poultry.

Back
Top Bottom