Egg bound

oh def gotta get close and personal well I already have somewhat with the syringe. yes its got to come out. my the last two times I have taken my chickens to the vet they died so I really don't want that route but if worse comes to worse I might.

After my experience, I'm convinced it's all about the olive oil and using plenty of it! I also think the fact that she's pushing will help you in getting it out.

Olive oil orally?

1st. Olive oil gets digested, so how helpful can it be?
2nd. Aspiration of any oil can cause lipoid pneumonia, which will cause death.
3rd. Even if it did lubricate the digestive tract, it won't lubricated the repro tract. To lube that one needs to find the opening and get water soluble lube in there, *not* oil.

-Kathy

Olive oil orally?

1st. Olive oil gets digested, so how helpful can it be?
2nd. Aspiration of any oil can cause lipoid pneumonia, which will cause death.
3rd. Even if it did lubricate the digestive tract, it won't lubricated the repro tract. To lube that one needs to find the opening and get water soluble lube in there, *not* oil.

-Kathy

Oh, sorry for not being clear. I meant using the olive oil as a lubricant along with you finger to manually manipulate the egg to help it out. With my Polish, I read about and was advised to use a well lubricated finger to feel and gently try and help the egg along. Sorry for not being clear. :/

Last edited:
I will have internet tonight at the house and take pics of her vent. She is acting normal as far as eating and drinking on her own. She can't walk well and tail is hanging down. I swear that lump feels like an egg! When I tried to push it up towards the her vent it would not show in the opening. She did nothing but lay there. She is not trying at all to push. That's when I started to push on it and it felt more muscular than an egg. She is pooping normal. Her poop was a little runny this morning. But I thinks that was from the lube. She is also loosing her feathers on her tummy now. Could this be an infection or worms? Should I be giving her some kind of meds at this point?

do I need to keep her inside a dark place all day? or can she be outside free ranging with the others? I am picking up the liquid calcium today if they have it.
If you are trying to stop laying, they should be in a dark space or covered cage for 16 hours a day, so she could range with her friends for up to 8 hours daily, but during some of that time she needs to be eating her normal feed. Lowering her feed ration below normal can have an effect on decreasing laying.

no im not trying to decrease laying at least im not unless that's why they say in a dark location?? just trying to get what I think is egg bound egg out.
One reason you might want keep her in the dark is you want to reduce the chance that another egg will get produced and will get stuck behind the first stuck egg, like an egg traffic jam.

But hopefully the liquid calcium will work, and she will be back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom