Egg bound

I thought I felt an egg and tried to push it out but whatever it is would not peak out . I'm stumped.

I was going to get my son to put her down last night, I even dug a hole but she was eating and drinking on her own still and I just couldn't do it. Vet on Friday.

Quote:
I think it might be a little premature to put her down. Do you have any horse (large animal) vets near you? My horse vet has offered to help me with my chickens if ever needed. Many large animal vets have chickens themselves.

I can't miss work to take her sooner. The vet is over 50miles away.
It sounds like you are doing the best you can for her under the circumstances. The link provided before about potential causes for a swollen belly is helpful: http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx

Aside from egg impaction, which you may have ruled out from your exam, the other problems mentioned in that link are not necessarily emergencies. Your Henny Penny is eating, drinking and pooping and waddling around.

Please let us know what the vet finds.

Last edited:
I will definitely let you know how everything turns out. I feel so guilty that I can't take her sooner and so ****** off nobody will look at chickens! The vet I'm taking her to is a chicken person too. So that will make a big difference and the office visit is only $ 15.00. I sure hope there is something they can do.

Back
Top Bottom