Egg bound

I hope this isn't a stupid question but how would I give my peahen a tums?
Would I crush it up in to smaller pieces or mix in her water or something?

I hope this isn't a stupid question but how would I give my peahen a tums?
Would I crush it up in to smaller pieces or mix in her water or something?
If she won't accept the smaller pieces without a struggle you could hide the pieces in a treat. I gave my goose pills by wrapping them in a piece of lettuce. For my chickens, putting the pill in a small piece of bread worked. Others have hid medicine in dried fruit. Good luck.

She won't except ANYTHING at this point, not even her treats. She did eat two wax worms yesterday but that's all she's eaten on her own. I did manage to get a few small pieces of tums in her by watering them down to almost mush and sticking them in her beak. I'm going to try again today with some peanut butter, which she normally likes...

She won't except ANYTHING at this point, not even her treats. She did eat two wax worms yesterday but that's all she's eaten on her own. I did manage to get a few small pieces of tums in her by watering them down to almost mush and sticking them in her beak. I'm going to try again today with some peanut butter, which she normally likes...

Go to Tractor Supply and buy some 23% liquid calcium gluconate, a syringe and needle, then give 0.2ml per pound orally (without the needle). Refrigerate after opening. For best results, you you also tube plenty of fluids with the calcium.

-Kathy

This happened to my chickens if they cannot drop the egg you have to try and break the egg so she can push out the rest, if u don't the chicken will buid up inside of her what looks like cooked egg yokes and that is fatal,

How do you know if they are prolapsed? I have a young hen getting ready to lay and she was not doing well. I tried crushing a calcium tablet and putting it in yogurt but had had to touch her beak in order for her to even try it. She wouldn't eat without dipping her beak. We have her a warm bath, and she let us know she was done. We let her go and she did pass a soft egg that came out collapsed. She perked up just a little. I did an exam to make sure she didn't have anything else inside. She went to bed with the rest, albeit slowly. Will check on her first thing. She is one of my most inquisitive little girls so for her to be so quiet is scary. Her sister started laying a month ago, but the rest of the girls haven't shown signs of being ready until yesterday and it was her.

How do you know if they are prolapsed? I have a young hen getting ready to lay and she was not doing well. I tried crushing a calcium tablet and putting it in yogurt but had had to touch her beak in order for her to even try it. She wouldn't eat without dipping her beak. We have her a warm bath, and she let us know she was done. We let her go and she did pass a soft egg that came out collapsed. She perked up just a little. I did an exam to make sure she didn't have anything else inside. She went to bed with the rest, albeit slowly. Will check on her first thing. She is one of my most inquisitive little girls so for her to be so quiet is scary. Her sister started laying a month ago, but the rest of the girls haven't shown signs of being ready until yesterday and it was her.
A prolapse is pretty easy to see since they is reddish pink tissue sticking out of the vent. This can attract pecking by the other hens, and any hen with prolapse should be separated to avoid injury. The picture below shows a mild prolapse. Here are some links about egg binding and prolapse to read:
http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
http://beautyofbirds.com/eggbinding.html

vent+a.jpg

photo by armorfirelady

Last edited:
I read this thread because I have a small hen that lays double yolk eggs every other day. She's a young golden sexlink. She appeared to be egg bound. I opened one of my calcium capsules, added water and used a syringe to feed half to her. Two hours later, giant egg. My vet says that calcium controls utuial contractions. I hope I don't have to do that every day.

Back
Top Bottom