Egg color genetics

I am new here, but sounds like you are on track! I would love to see an update on your girl. I haven't bred the cross myself (yet), but would love to know one thing. I have heard that F1 crosses of the cross are smooth feathered and F2 crosses look like the silkie. I can't genetically back that up, but is your pullet smooth?
F1 crosses are smooth feathered. If you breed two F1 together 25% will have sikied feathers, 50% will be smooth feathered and carry the silkied gene and 25% will be smooth feathered and not carry the silkied gene. Here are photos of my two hybrids.😊
299BCA2D-41E8-4891-BBD4-58FFE036412E.jpeg
42F51814-8169-422B-AC31-9EEE91A36464.jpeg

F1 crosses are smooth feathered. If you breed two F1 together 25% will have sikied feathers, 50% will be smooth feathered and carry the silkied gene and 25% will be smooth feathered and not carry the silkied gene. Here are photos of my two hybrids.😊View attachment 2808871View attachment 2808872
Thanks! The photos backed up some other genetic info I have heard/seen. Eggs should be here soon.

So I am right in assuming it is the polish cross! I knew it did not make sense genetically, but I wanted some verification. Guess the Ameraucana/silkie cross is faking me out, still just in the preparation stage, and has not laid yet.
I am sure of her parentage, I bred and hatched her myself from my own birds.
Thanks! 😊
Yes, I think you're right! My girls do this to me all the time. It's so hard to be patient when you're waiting for a new egg color :barnie .

F1 crosses are smooth feathered. If you breed two F1 together 25% will have sikied feathers, 50% will be smooth feathered and carry the silkied gene and 25% will be smooth feathered and not carry the silkied gene. Here are photos of my two hybrids.😊View attachment 2808871
This hen looks so much like my silkie/barred rock cross! With the exception of the crest of course. :) I want to breed more like her and possibly cross them back to the silkies to get more of the silkie feather type. I'm also thinking about adding in another breed to get more egg color variety. Do you have any information on breeding and genetics you can share? If I do this I want to do it right and have only healthy birds.

Attachments

• IMG_5679.JPG
    IMG_5679.JPG
    712.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5696.JPG
    IMG_5696.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom