Egg Color Inside and Out - pictures please!

Chicken5555

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
somewhere in the Southern USA
Hello! I've been explaining to my kids that eggs have a base color and a coating, but none of my chickens are laying yet. Can you all please post a picture of your eggs cracked open so I can show my kids some real examples? I would love to see all shades of Olive, Green, Speckled, Chocolate, Brown, Tan, Pink, Tinted, White and Blue. Please make sure we can see both the inside and the outside of the egg shell. Thank you all very much!

Hi,
What an intriguing idea! Maybe query the folks on the different threads of the breeds which lay these colors of eggs. Then import the pics here for everyone to see. Marans for dark brown. Sussex for tinted brown. Leghorn for white. Araucanas for blue. Ameraucana for blue nd green? Easter Egger for blue, green and olive? Pink, hum. Not sure which breed there. Just tell the folks in those breed you are putting together a project and want to showcase the eggs of their breed.
Best,
Karen
Oh, Marans can also lay Brown eggs with darker brown speckles on them. Very pretty.
The brown on the Marans eggs is on the surface only and can be rubbed off. The inside of the egg is white.

Last edited:
Hi,
What an intriguing idea! Maybe query the folks on the different threads of the breeds which lay these colors of eggs. Then import the pics here for everyone to see. Marans for dark brown. Sussex for tinted brown. Leghorn for white. Araucanas for blue. Ameraucana for blue nd green? Easter Egger for blue, green and olive? Pink, hum. Not sure which breed there. Just tell the folks in those breed you are putting together a project and want to showcase the eggs of their breed.
Best,
Karen
Oh, Marans can also lay Brown eggs with darker brown speckles on them. Very pretty.
The brown on the Marans eggs is on the surface only and can be rubbed off. The inside of the egg is white.

That is a wonderful idea Karen! Thanks a million.

That is a wonderful idea Karen! Thanks a million.
I don't think there is anything like it out there. Personally, I think it would make a great "stickie",. That's a thread the moderators choose to mark as permanently educational for the rest of the community.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom