Egg color question

Somshine

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Okay I have another question for the genetic experts. Can't seem to find the answer. If I have a rooster that is an F1 olive egger he is half blue egg and half brown egg. When I breed him will he pass the same egg color gene every time or will he sometimes pass brown and sometimes pass blue?

Well what I'm really trying to figure out is whether the rooster has the potential of sometimes passing down brown or sometimes passing down blue. If he is a combination of a blue egg layer and a brown egg layer is the same color going to be his the genetics he passes down every time?

As in will some of his chicks get his blue gene and some of the chicks get his brown gene or will he have the default of one or the other every time. Sort of like a hen of this cross is going to get an egg color and that's what she lays every time.

It's random when breeding which gene is passed down. So you would theoretically get some olive layers, but also some brown layers depending on if they get the brown or blue gene from dad. It depends what he’s also being bred with.

So he can either pass his blue down or his brown randomly and not just one or the other every time?

So he can only pass down one or the other? It can't sometimes be one and sometimes be the other?

So he can only pass down one or the other? It can't sometimes be one and sometimes be the other?
I would assume one or the other, depending on what his father was. I got that from another thread.

4BA7EA9B-306C-410E-A28B-87AE2F397C7E.jpeg

Each chick will have a 50% chance of inheriting the blue gene and 50% chance it wont, but in saying that you could hatch out 20 chicks and only 7 could inherit it or 17 could. Pretty much it's like rolling dice or flipping a coin on if he will pass it down or not

Back
Top Bottom