Egg Color?

HandsomePoultry

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2017
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Tomorrow I plan to set 50 or so eggs into my incubator to sell chicks. Of these they come from a Barred rock rooster or a GC rooster. The hens I have with them are Barred rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Golden comets, and a Brahma. Now these babies will be a barnyard mix and I assume all offspring will be brown layers from brown breeds. Except what comes from my GC hens x GC roo. The f1 have all been brown layers that look like the mothers; a light red. Yet of the two F2 chicks I hatched (diffrent GC roos) I got all white offspring. These aren't old enough to lay yet so I am wondering if they will give brown or white eggs. I am thinking brown?

Yes, but from my understanding the rooster might hold a white egg allele, but brown is dominant. Or so I was thinking. My knowledge isn't the greatest, nor the worst, but I like the extra opinions.

They will lay some shade of brown... shading could vary greatly...

There are only 2 colors of egg shells though... white and blue... the brown overlay pigment is caused by completely seperate genes and there's something like a dozen of them, or 15? I can't recall how many, but there's several...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom