egg colour query

crunchytop

Hatching
Nov 2, 2015
Brighton
I have 3 Japanese cortunix quail.2 female and 1 male.fed a diet of chick crumb/turkey feed/meal worms/finch seeds and daily fresh mix of greens, herbs ,fruit grated courgette etc.
The thing is they only lay eggs that are uniformly grey/bluey like this:

these aren't my corturnix but I found this pic online and the eggs are exactly the same colour as mine

I think of quail eggs like this:

any suggestions as to why this might be? It has been suggested it might just be the breed, but I have seen photos from other cortunix and they looked normal I.E white background/speckly.

The birds in the top photo are button quail not courtnix. Do you have a photo of your birds? You might have Chinese Blue Breasted Quail aka king quail aka buttons State side. lol

here is a couple pics of my birds:

quincy

quentin

the suspect egg looking a bit more buff then the usual grey/blue.not laying much at moment as daytimes shortning.
I took a vid but I will have to figure out how to upload it first.
hope these help
yippiechickie.gif

You have button quail, not coturnix. The picture of the hen isn't too good, she could be mistaken for a cot. But the roo is clearly a button and if the hen in the picture laid the egg, so is she :)

thank you so much everyone.you hit the quail on the head! they are Button quail bless there little button sox!
I'm so happy now I know there eggs are meant to look like this.So glad I joined your site, be chatting more very soon
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom