Egg colours. First gen, second gen

Let me try this with symbols. A capital "O" represents the dominant blue egg gene. A smaller case "o" represents the not-blue gene. Since blue is dominant if just one of the genes at that gene pair is blue the hen will lay a "base blue egg. What I mean by base blue is that all eggs are either base blue or base not-blue. I call it not-blue because that specific gene does not color the eggshell, just allows the default white from the materials that makeup the eggshell to show. It defaults to white if the blue gene is not present.

There are several different gene pairs that can affect brown. That's why you can get so many different shades of brown, from tinted to the chocolate brown from Marans or others. Some are dominant, some recessive. Some partially dominant or only act if another specific gene is present. One bleaches out brown. One is even sex-linked, the pullet can get it from her father but not her mother. It can be complicated and you don't always get what you expect.

Brown is generally laid on after the eggshell is formed, though of course there has to be an exception to make it more complicated. There is one gene that can cause "tinting" throughout the eggshell. The Blue gene colors the eggshell all the way through, not just on the surface like Brown.

For your purposes with the olive eggs, the brown will be laid on during the last half hour or so the egg is in the shell gland after the rest of the eggshell has formed. Green is simply brown on top of blue. It goes like this.

Base Blue + no Brown = Blue
Base Blue + Brown = Green
Base White + no Brown = White
Base White + Brown = Brown

Your Marans is pure for not-Blue. That means he has o,o at that gene pair. Your EE might be pure for Blue (O,O) or might be split for Blue (O,o). You cannot tell by looking at her eggshells. If she is pure then all of her offspring with that Marans rooster will be O,o and lay a base blue egg.

If she is split then their offspring could be either O,o or o,o. This does not mean that if you hatch two pullets one will lay a base blue egg and one will not. The odds of each pullet laying base blue are 50-50. It is very possible you will get both base blue or neither base blue. If you hatch a lot of pullets then your odds of half of them laying base blue increase but you have to have enough pullets for the odds to mean something. You might look up Punnett Squares to see how to calculate the odds of the crosses.

The brown genetics works the same way but there are so many different genes that have an effect that it can get really complicated fast. Sometimes you get real surprises with the eggs, especially a couple of generations into the breeding project where recessives have a chance to match up.

The way I'd approach it would be to only hatch eggs that are base blue. And I'd look to hatch the darkest eggs since that seems to be your goal. You can pair an offspring with a specific parent to enhance certain genetics, like using that rooster over his daughters to set more dark egg genetics. That does not mean the eggs will get darker, it does not mean you won't get some lighter eggs. That just depends on how the various genes go together. But your odds of continuing to get dark eggs is much better.

The way I understand your goals I would use a rooster that hatched out of a dark green egg within a couple of seasons. Since a rooster doesn't lay eggs you don't know if he inherited the blue egg gene or not though NatJ's comments on comb type might help with improving your odds with that. If you are consistent with only saving breeding chickens from your dark olive eggs you can increase your odds of having pullets that lay base blue eggs.

I did this with my base blue hens and base not-blue rooster and got very lucky. The rooster I kept had a blue egg gene. Within a couple of generations practically all of my pullets were laying blue eggs. With the lottery that is genetics it could have easily taken several more generations to get to that point.

Good luck and have fun with it.

The color of their feathers will not help predict what egg colors they lay.

If the EE hens have pea combs, the comb type of the daughters might help predict whether they inherit the blue egg gene. If the EE hens have single combs, then breeding them to a single comb rooster will produce just chicks with single combs, no matter what egg color genes they have.

There is a linkage between the pea comb gene and the blue egg gene, so they tend to be inherited together. But they can be linked in any combination:
pea comb + blue egg (example: Araucana)
pea comb + not-blue egg (example: Brahma)
not-pea comb + blue egg (example: Cream Legbar)
not-pea comb + not-blue egg (example: every single-comb chicken that lays brown or white eggs.)

Because of the linkage, you can sometimes track the blue egg gene by the comb type.

If you start with Araucanas and Marans, then the pea comb goes with the blue egg gene and the not-pea comb goes with the not-pea comb.

If you start with Cream Legbars and Brahmas, you have the pea comb going with the not-blue egg gene, and the not-pea comb going with the blue egg gene. Again, you can track the blue egg by the comb type, but they are exactly backwards of the previous example.

In either of those cases, you can get some crossovers (chicks where the linkage switched around to be the other way.) That happens about 5% of the time (so about 1 chick in 20).

But if you start with chickens that have the same comb type and lay different colors of eggs, then the comb type does not tell you anything about which offspring have the blue egg gene (you could do this with Cream Legbars and Marans for single combs, or Araucanas and Brahmas for pea combs, or quite a few other combinations as well.)

Since I know the Marans have single combs, that is why I say you *might* be able to predict the egg color of your pullets by their comb type, if the EE mothers have pea

The color of their feathers will not help predict what egg colors they lay.

If the EE hens have pea combs, the comb type of the daughters might help predict whether they inherit the blue egg gene. If the EE hens have single combs, then breeding them to a single comb rooster will produce just chicks with single combs, no matter what egg color genes they have.

There is a linkage between the pea comb gene and the blue egg gene, so they tend to be inherited together. But they can be linked in any combination:
pea comb + blue egg (example: Araucana)
pea comb + not-blue egg (example: Brahma)
not-pea comb + blue egg (example: Cream Legbar)
not-pea comb + not-blue egg (example: every single-comb chicken that lays brown or white eggs.)

Because of the linkage, you can sometimes track the blue egg gene by the comb type.

If you start with Araucanas and Marans, then the pea comb goes with the blue egg gene and the not-pea comb goes with the not-blue egg.

If you start with Cream Legbars and Brahmas, you have the pea comb going with the not-blue egg gene, and the not-pea comb going with the blue egg gene. Again, you can track the blue egg by the comb type, but they are exactly backwards of the previous example.

In either of those cases, you can get some crossovers (chicks where the linkage switched around to be the other way.) That happens about 5% of the time (so about 1 chick in 20).

But if you start with chickens that have the same comb type and lay different colors of eggs, then the comb type does not tell you anything about which offspring have the blue egg gene (you could do this with Cream Legbars and Marans for single combs, or Araucanas and Brahmas for pea combs, or quite a few other combinations as well.)

Since I know the Marans have single combs, that is why I say you *might* be able to predict the egg color of your pullets by their comb type, if the EE mothers have pea combs.
My EE hens (MOMS) have pea combs. The hens that I have from this off spring

(Gen 2)
2 x black no beard pea comb
1x black beard pea comb
1x black no beard comb

One of those is laying the olive egg in question

So if I understand this. I could expect 3 olive layers and 1 brown layer?

Can't wait to see. I have been collecting my eggs daily but haven't found any other new eggs. Will keep this thread updated.

I do have a spanner in the works. Apart from chickens I have a few ducks. My ducks are currently sitting on eggs.

I have out of the blue ended up with day Olds from somewhere. There is a possibility that these chicks could be gen 3.

Gen 3
4 chicks.
Visible fluffy faces on at least 3. Black and white in coloring. Black legs, yellow toes. These chicks are in doors under heat at the moment. Ducks kicked out chicks.

No hens where sitting

Um, I don't think that is correct. You do not know whether the EE hens are going to produce 50% or 100% chicks with the blue egg gene.

But once the first mixed pullets are laying eggs, you know exactly what each one has. She has a not-blue gene from her BCM father. If she lays eggs that are blue, green, or olive, then she has exactly one blue egg gene. If she lays brown eggs, she has no blue egg gene.

For those mixed pullets that do lay olive eggs, you can breed them back to the BCM rooster and half of their daughters will lay brown eggs (probably dark brown), while the other half will lay olive eggs (probably a darker olive than the mixed pullet that is their mother.)

You can do this for as many generations as you want. Every pullet that lays blue, green, or olive eggs has at least one blue egg gene. If her father is from a brown egg breed, then she has one not-blue egg gene from him, so she cannot have more than one blue egg gene.

As a practical matter, you could use the BCM rooster as many years as you want, only hatch eggs that are blue/green/olive, and get about 50% olive-eggers in every hatch. Hatching only the eggs that have some blue in them is a way to be certain that you are hatching eggs from hens that have the blue egg gene, which they give to about 50% of their own chicks.

Next step: take gen 2 (7 month olds) and the EE hens I have right now to to BCM rooster to result in - brown / olive

Love this.

*** other hens. Have 4 salmon faverolle x EE would there be any benefits of having them with the BCM ?

* I don't know how dark an egg shell the rooster came out from. Any way of telling if he is from a darker line?

Back
Top Bottom