Egg laying

brualy

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 3, 2014
Hi! I have 4 females that started laying eggs in February when it was still WAY too cold to do that. In March they stopped and I do not know why they haven't started laying again. One female is 4 years old, then 3, then 2 and less than 1 year old so age should not be a factor for the younger ones. I have not changed their food and I keep their coop relatively clean. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks for the help!

Hi. :frow

Temperature is not what determines egg laying... it is light that triggers the hormone.

Are your birds free range? Possible they are hiding a nest?

Other possibilities would be internal or external parasites, broodiness, too many low nutrient treats, or predator visits.

Hope ya get it figured out. :fl

Hi. :frow

Temperature is not what determines egg laying... it is light that triggers the hormone.

Are your birds free range? Possible they are hiding a nest?

Other possibilities would be internal or external parasites, broodiness, too many low nutrient treats, or predator visits.

Hope ya get it figured out. :fl
Stress may also be a factor. Same with egg eating.

Same with egg eating.
Too me egg eating is a happy accident that a hen discovers which sometimes becomes a habit.

But I gather you mean to where the eggs have gone not stress being a factor that causes egg eating. :p

Good thinking, I did also consider that but more along the lines of a predator stealing them (crows, snake, rats). Usually when I get egg eaters in my flock there is some sort of evidence left behind.

Just realized these are guineas we are talking about... I'm clueless to their behavior. I would keep all locked in until I got egg in my lay boxes. Sometimes with good weather come the need to retrain them where they should be laying. :barnie

Too me egg eating is a happy accident that a hen discovers which sometimes becomes a habit.

But I gather you mean to where the eggs have gone not stress being a factor that causes egg eating. :p

Good thinking, I did also consider that but more along the lines of a predator stealing them (crows, snake, rats). Usually when I get egg eaters in my flock there is some sort of evidence left behind.

Just realized these are guineas we are talking about... I'm clueless to their behavior. I would keep all locked in until I got egg in my lay boxes. Sometimes with good weather come the need to retrain them where they should be laying. :barnie
Yeah, I thought these were chickens we were talking about. My chickens leave no evidence behind with egg eating usually. Btw with stress, they may be upset because of new birds added, critters roaming at night/day, etc.

They are guineas. Only the very fortunate can get guinea hens to use lay boxes. Their preference are hidden nests on the ground in tall grass, etc. where they can easily be picked off by predators. The quickest way to get a guinea hen to abandon her nest is to let her see you messing with her nest. If the eggs are being collected be sure to leave at least one egg or fake egg to encourage the hen to continue using the nest.

They are guineas. Only the very fortunate can get guinea hens to use lay boxes. Their preference are hidden nests on the ground in tall grass, etc. where they can easily be picked off by predators. The quickest way to get a guinea hen to abandon her nest is to let her see you messing with her nest. If the eggs are being collected be sure to leave at least one egg or fake egg to encourage the hen to continue using the nest.
In the past I have tried the fake egg, my ladies were on to me in a flash! They have been creating a nest inside the coop so hopefully they will start laying again. My fingers are crossed!

Went out yesterday to clean out coop and nesting box and there was an egg just laying in the run. Few days back she did the same thing. I scooped that one up then didn't know what to do with it so this one I left alone. Should I just leave it alone and see if she lays more and sits on them (is that what u call broody?)? I am new to this.

Went out yesterday to clean out coop and nesting box and there was an egg just laying in the run. Few days back she did the same thing. I scooped that one up then didn't know what to do with it so this one I left alone. Should I just leave it alone and see if she lays more and sits on them (is that what u call broody?)? I am new to this.
It is very common for a guinea hen to drop her egg wherever when she first starts to lay. Eventually she will learn what is going on and choose a nest site to lay her eggs in.

My ladies will lay eggs where ever and when ever they see fit - they've even dropped an egg from the roosting bar! Good luck with your guineas and the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom