EGG LAYING

1missy1

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2015
For the last few weeks I have 1 chicken that has completely stopped laying and the other chicken has laid 3 eggs, 2 of which had soft shells. The second chicken has now not laid for over a week. I only have the 2 chickens. The have a run that they are in during the day and a coop that they are in at night. They get fresh fruits and veggies in the morning and a crumble available at all times. They have oyster shell and grit. For the last week I have been giving them electrolytes with D3. Other than not laying everything else seems to be ok. Any ideas?

How old are your chickens? The reasons that they are not laying could be multiple reasons. Is it hot? Cold? Have they started molting? Breed can very well be a factor too.

How old are they? Is anyone staying in the lay box like they are broody?

Molting is starting to come on for many which stops laying.

No supplement should be given for more than 10 days... electrolytes getting off balance either way can be deadly and I don't use them except for a bird with diarrhea for an extended period of time or off water for some reason, or on fresh shipped chicks.

Soft egg shells are very often a symptom of the reproductive system just starting up or shutting down for the season. If nutrition is KNOWN adequate I presume it to be a hiccup. But the laying hormone is triggered by light and daylight is diminishing right now, for me at least.

It can also be effected by predator visits, internal or external parasites, and so many other things. :barnie

Are they acting normal... eating, drinking, staying together? Any lethargy or withdrawn? Any recent changes?
:fl

I forgot to say they are only 1 1/2 years old. It was hot in July and part of August but now it has gotten cooler. It is around 90 during the day. They were laying when it was 100+. One is an orpington and the other is a Wyandotte.

It is around 90 in the daytime where I live too. My chickens are starting to molt which is why they have all stopped laying. I agree with @EggSighted4Life, that the soft shelled eggs have to do with the reproductive system.

How old are they? Is anyone staying in the lay box like they are broody?

Molting is starting to come on for many which stops laying.

No supplement should be given for more than 10 days... electrolytes getting off balance either way can be deadly and I don't use them except for a bird with diarrhea for an extended period of time or off water for some reason, or on fresh shipped chicks.

Soft egg shells are very often a symptom of the reproductive system just starting up or shutting down for the season. If nutrition is KNOWN adequate I presume it to be a hiccup. But the laying hormone is triggered by light and daylight is diminishing right now, for me at least.

It can also be effected by predator visits, internal or external parasites, and so many other things. :barnie

Are they acting normal... eating, drinking, staying together? Any lethargy or withdrawn? Any recent changes?
:fl

I don't see any molting yet. Not broody. Daylight here is from 6:30 am till 7:30 pm. Nothing else seems to have changed. They are eating and acting normal. Maybe I am just an overanxious mom. lol. These are my first chickens. So last year this time they were just starting to lay. I just don't want to address anything if they are sick. thx

Back
Top Bottom