egg oddity..

BARobbins

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2024
My 13-mo. old SLW has been for a couple weeks laying a soft shelled egg off/on. Almost always first thing in the AM on the run floor. She eats well drinks runs around pecking away. I had all five lay yesterday, and hers has a bit of surface bumps on the end which we see on occasion... and then first thing this AM are the eggs not staying in long enough to calcify? as it was too soon to drop again... included a picture of yesterday for observation.
TIA!

Attachments

• 20240328_175052.jpg
    20240328_175052.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 19
My 13-mo. old SLW has been for a couple weeks laying a soft shelled egg off/on. Almost always first thing in the AM on the run floor. She eats well drinks runs around pecking away. I had all five lay yesterday, and hers has a bit of surface bumps on the end which we see on occasion... and then first thing this AM are the eggs not staying in long enough to calcify? as it was too soon to drop again... included a picture of yesterday for observation.
TIA!
Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Glitching shell gland or possibly follicle release.. Maybe from changes in lighting.. (increasing daylight)..

Get a load of this article and cool video.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Diet content including treats and supplements is always a good question worth discussing when any possible health related things pop up.

Glitching shell gland or possibly follicle release.. Maybe from changes in lighting.. (increasing daylight)..

Diet content including treats and supplements is always a good question worth discussing when any possible health related things pop up.

TIA!
Thank you for your information!
I hope it is not egg drop syndrome!
I am new but enjoying many parts of BYC thank you!

I hope it is not egg drop syndrome!
I wouldn't suspect that, at this point.. I should have said almost everything in that link includes some sort of disease as a possible cause. But you can look deeper into it and see if symptoms line up or if there is any laboratory testing that can be done to confirm or rule it out.

Hiccups are not uncommon, regardless of age. *Sometimes* the simplest answer is the correct one. :fl

Back
Top Bottom