Egg Pecking/ New Feed

seanengler

Songster
13 Years
May 23, 2010
Central Coast, CA
Hey everybody I’m sure it’s been asked an answered but hey why not start a new thread haha. So, for all of our adult layers we’ve fed 18% layer crumble. Recently the feed store advised us to switch to a 16% cage crumble due to them all being 4 or 5 years old and that the lower protein would slow down their egg laying and be easier on their bodies. A few weeks after making this switch we’ve started having eggs pecked and eaten. Sometimes shell and all. So two questions, should they be on the lower protein food with calcium supplement or just put them back on the 18% layer crumble? Could it be just a coincidence? I’m annoyed at the feed store advice but at the time just figured “hey why not”. Thanks in advance.

Hey everybody I’m sure it’s been asked an answered but hey why not start a new thread haha. So, for all of our adult layers we’ve fed 18% layer crumble. Recently the feed store advised us to switch to a 16% cage crumble due to them all being 4 or 5 years old and that the lower protein would slow down their egg laying and be easier on their bodies. A few weeks after making this switch we’ve started having eggs pecked and eaten. Sometimes shell and all. So two questions, should they be on the lower protein food with calcium supplement or just put them back on the 18% layer crumble? Could it be just a coincidence? I’m annoyed at the feed store advice but at the time just figured “hey why not”. Thanks in advance.
Hi seanengler, if it was me I would put them back on their normal feed. That age old saying coming to pass "if it ain't broke, dont fix it" :gigI have the same trouble with my girls if I decrease their protien level. They will start feather eating & occasionally egg eating. If your birds have never been egg pickers until this food change I would say then it's probably the results of the reduced protein level in the feed change. The problem with egg eating, once they start it's hard to break. So the sooner you switch back the better :)

There is not one sack of chicken feed sold today that is the highest and best diet for hens. All chicken feed was developed to fill a niche in the commercial poultry biz and no commercial chicken feed (regardless of the platitudes its maker spouts off) is the best chicken feed 356 days of the year.

If you supplement your hens' diet with chicken junk food you can quickly end up with hens who are malnourished. So called free ranging is one good way for it to happen unless you pay careful attention to the rations that your hens consume..

I changed my at the time 15 month old hens to a 16% protein layers pellet from a 18% layers pellet. Within a couple of months, their behavior changed for the worse. Feather plucking and bullying and their appearance changed to a dull, tattered feathers look. This was early summer.
I changed back to a 18% layers pellet. I noticed better behavior in a month and by the 3rd month their feathers looked better.
In my experience, 18 to 20% Protein feed is better for a Backyard Flock.
If you can't find a layers feed above 16%, you can get an All Flock, Flock Raiser or a Non-medicated Start and Grow, with a container of Oyster Shells near the feed. GC

About 2 months ago I started mixing layer feed with scratch grains and cracked corn. Never had a problem with egg eating until I did that. Before they were on layer feed exclusively. I bought some ceramic eggs and switching them back to nothing buy layer feed from now on.

Back
Top Bottom