Egg Pecking - not cracked, but pecked...

SFChickens

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Hey all,

We've had chickens for about 5 years now - we keep 5 girls in a fully enclosed 2 level coop, with a run downstairs, and a roost + 2 nesting boxes upstairs.

From time to time over the years we get cracked eggs, and when that happens, I always remember to put out crushed oyster shells, which usually stops it - I also keep a golf ball in with the laying boxes, to deter pecking in the box (I hope!).

Recently, i've seen a number of eggs with a small peck mark, but they are not broken all the way (the peck didn't get through the inner membrane). I *THINK* it's the same chickens' egg each time, judging by the color and size.

Attached is a picture from today. This is the 3rd or 4th time I have seen this exact issue in the past week - I put out more crushed oysters yesterday; any ideas on other things I can/should do to prevent this?

Thanks in advance!
Shamir

Attachments

• IMG_20190703_102033.jpg
    IMG_20190703_102033.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 26
I have heard of golf balls working or mustard eggs. I had the same problem and converted my nesting boxes to rollaway ones It took them a minute to get used to it but it seem to work better than the golf balls. Once mine had the taste of their delicious eggs no matter what I added to their feed they wanted to go back for more. I guess in a way I can’t really blame them those eggs are tasty!

I have heard of golf balls working or mustard eggs. I had the same problem and converted my nesting boxes to rollaway ones It took them a minute to get used to it but it seem to work better than the golf balls. Once mine had the taste of their delicious eggs no matter what I added to their feed they wanted to go back for more. I guess in a way I can’t really blame them those eggs are tasty!
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the feedback! So for Mustard Eggs, you are saying to take eggs they lay, and soak em in mustard - then put them back in like a deterrent? So they will peck it and be turned off by the mustard flavor?

Thanks!

Mustard filled eggs.....mostly just make a mess.

And it doesn't look like you have an egg eater anyways.
Are your nests well bedded?
Any new birds or all 4-5 years old?
Is the shell thin where it is dented?
Really heard to say why this is happening...so can't really suggest a solution.

I get these often now with a few new hens added and less access to their nest boxes than usual.
I believe I just have one gal that's heavy with her feet and is accidentally poking a hole in eggs, because the broken egg (or eggs)is always in a nest with other eggs, not by itself.

Try collecting more often in the day to see if that's the case?

Oh ok. My phone didn’t show a photo yesterday when I replied ( terrible service here) I agree with @aart IMO doesn’t look like an egg eater... you’d probably have a bigger mess. I’ve had those. Looks like a larger hen stepping on them. That’s what I had assumed at least
When I ended up with an egg eater i knew! A mess!

I've had eggs like that when I first got chickens. I didn't put enough bedding in the nests.
Are the holes always on the end of the eggs? The hens stand up as the egg is coming out and hits the floor of the nest if there's not enough straw or shavings. When you collect the eggs, check if the floor of the nest is covered with enough shavings. I have to add shavings daily in my Pullets coop. 20190521_130207.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom