Egg question

abbly2

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Tennesse
Hello, I'm fairly new to owning chickens.
We just got our first egg yesterday. I noticed white speckles. What does this mean? Or is it nothing?

Does a fertlized eggs go bad quicker?
Also how do you properly store eggs?
Clean them? Or no?

Any advice is welcomed! :)
*pic attached is first egg

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 36
Congrats on your first egg! Im new too so I don't have much wisdom to share but I think the white spots are the shell showing through the bloom, not a concern. I store mine unwashed in cartons once there are 12 I take it to the fridge. Im using roll away nests so the eggs are not soiled and my family go through them quickly!

Hello, I'm fairly new to owning chickens.
We just got our first egg yesterday. I noticed white speckles. What does this mean? Or is it nothing?

Clean them? Or no?

Any advice is welcomed! :)
*pic attached is first egg
Normally white speckles just mean that its a first egg and that her bloom has not fully covered the whole egg shell. It doesn't really mean anything.

I personally clean them and refrigerate but fresh eggs do last longer not washed and sitting on a counter or something until you are ready to use them.

Does a fertlized eggs go bad quicker?
Clean them? Or no?
I don’t eat eggs, so i’m not sure if it’s good to clean them for that. But i do know if you plan to hatch the eggs, you have better odds not cleaning it, because it removes that bloom layer protecting bacteria from getting in.

Last edited:
'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

Back
Top Bottom