First Egg! Finally 😂 Questions

BiggDeal

Chirping
Aug 21, 2023
South NJ
We got our first egg yesterday, but I’m wondering a few things and hoping for answers here
Sorry if these are stupid questions but I wanted to double check what everyone else does.
One we have the egg and I know you are suppose to not wash right away and keep on counter or whatever to have them last longer
My question is about how long do you keep them out before putting in refrigerator if not eating right away? My other question was if it’s really cold out ( which it is here) and we bring the eggs in from outside and they are on counter and get room temperature wouldn’t that make them go bad sooner? Since it’s cold outside should they go directly to refrigerator?
Once washed and in refrigerator how long do they last?
Can you eat the first eggs? I’m hearing two different things from people and how do I tell who laid first egg? Is there a way to tell?
Lastly my hens were born in August … and are a lil later starting then I thought they should be but I figured since it was winter it may delay them a bit with less light and stuff, but now that one laided will the rest start too? I know they don’t lay everyday but I have two red sexlinks two buff orpingtons one silver laced Wyandotte and two Silkies one is a satin ( I know they are not great egg layers and eggs small but they were cute 😂)
I found egg on floor too not nesting box we did put straw in boxes and fake eggs and I have some nesting box herbs coming today to get them to go to boxes … any other tricks?

Attachments

• IMG_6483.jpeg
    IMG_6483.jpeg
    550.6 KB · Views: 13
Sorry if these are stupid questions but I wanted to double check what everyone else does.
Not stupid! We all ask these questions when we first start, and there is conflicting information out there. I think we all do things a little differently.
One we have the egg and I know you are suppose to not wash right away and keep on counter or whatever to have them last longer
My question is about how long do you keep them out before putting in refrigerator if not eating right away? My other question was if it’s really cold out ( which it is here) and we bring the eggs in from outside and they are on counter and get room temperature wouldn’t that make them go bad sooner? Since it’s cold outside should they go directly to refrigerator?
I personally never wash my eggs (unless they’re filthy which they rarely are). I keep them on the counter unless they have gotten really cold. If they are cold enough to produce condensation once brought indoors, then they should go in the fridge. The condensation is the problem as the moisture can remove the protective bloom and bacteria can potentially get in. I usually refrigerate when my coop is around 40.

General rule of thumb is 2 weeks on the counter and 1 month in the fridge. You do not have to wash them when you put them in the fridge. It’s generally recommended to wash before eating- but I don’t. I’ve also kept eggs longer than the 2 weeks/1month rule and they’ve been fine.
Can you eat the first eggs?
Yes! I love first eggs.

I’m hearing two different things from people and how do I tell who laid first egg? Is there a way to tell?
I haven’t had a lot of luck with this, but you should be able to feel their pelvic bones and on your layer they will be significantly farther apart. I find this tough when comparing different breeds. I would guess it’s your sexlinks. They’re bred to lay a lot and start early. My orpingtons have often been my later layers.
Lastly my hens were born in August … and are a lil later starting then I thought they should be but I figured since it was winter it may delay them a bit with less light and stuff, but now that one laided will the rest start too? I know they don’t lay everyday but I have two red sexlinks two buff orpingtons one silver laced Wyandotte and two Silkies one is a satin ( I know they are not great egg layers and eggs small but they were cute 😂)
Your sexlinks may lay daily once they get the rhythm. Egg-laying does seem to be contagious amongst my pullets. But again it can be a little apples to oranges with a mixed flock.
I found egg on floor too not nesting box we did put straw in boxes and fake eggs and I have some nesting box herbs coming today to get them to go to boxes … any other tricks?
I wouldn’t sweat it. She’s still figuring it out. You can try putting her in the nest box if you notice her nesting or acting anxious, but she may figure it out own her own. If she consistently starts laying in the same place, then you might want to block that area off. You can also post a Picture of your nest boxes if your worried there’s something they won’t like about them.

I hope your others start up soon! Enjoy that egg!

Last edited:
The bloom on the egg helps keep the egg from going off at room temp....but rinses off in water. Reason for the bloom: eggs incubate for 21 days, hens can accumulate eggs for several days before sitting. Results: not washing can keep them good on the counter for a month. (BTW, storing eggs with the air sack up also helps with that. Air sack is USUALLY at the rounded end, so pointy end down).

Cold: it can hit -40 here. All eggs go on the counter. If they've frozen solid, I need to see them thaw before they go in the fridge so if the thawing cracks the egg, I can dispose of it

Eggs in nest boxes: hens lay eggs together (safe places to lay in the wild). Fake eggs or even golf balls can help indicate "safe places" to lay if you don't have a roo showing them those spots (and can help him "find" those places). Messing up (including breaking an egg) the nest in places you DON'T want them laying can also help discourage them from laying in those spots.

If the eggs are heavily soiled, I rinse them with gentle pressure under water that is a bit warmer than the egg to clean them off then lay them in the sink drainer to dry. I'll often not carton and refrigerate them until the next day.
My question is about how long do you keep them out before putting in refrigerator if not eating right away?
They can stay out for a month. Most eggs don't last that long before being eaten though.
if it’s really cold out
How cold? Eggs freeze at 28F.
Since it’s cold outside should they go directly to refrigerator?
If they are relatively clean, I would carton and refrigerate them but it really isn't required. It often comes down to refrigerator space.
At least a month.
Of course!
I’m hearing two different things from people and how do I tell who laid first egg? Is there a way to tell?
Do a pelvic check.
1708173346335.png
Lastly my hens were born in August
Hatched.
but now that one laided will the rest start too?
Eventually. They all start when they reach sexual maturity and just like with mammals, that varies by individual.
I found egg on floor too not nesting box
This is very common for POL pullets. Often they don't really know what is going on and get caught off guard. As long as they have appropriate semi-private nesting sites (ie the nest boxes) that are comfortable, they will eventually seek them out.
we did put straw in boxes and fake eggs
This will help.
any other tricks?
Give them time to figure it out. Again, making them a little more private may help.

If the eggs are heavily soiled, I rinse them with gentle pressure under water that is a bit warmer than the egg to clean them off then lay them in the sink drainer to dry. I'll often not carton and refrigerate them until the next day.

They can stay out for a month. Most eggs don't last that long before being eaten though.

How cold? Eggs freeze at 28F.

If they are relatively clean, I would carton and refrigerate them but it really isn't required. It often comes down to refrigerator space.

At least a month.

Of course!

Do a pelvic check.

Hatched.

Eventually. They all start when they reach sexual maturity and just like with mammals, that varies by individual.

This is very common for POL pullets. Often they don't really know what is going on and get caught off guard. As long as they have appropriate semi-private nesting sites (ie the nest boxes) that are comfortable, they will eventually seek them out.

This will help.

Give them time to figure it out. Again, making them a little more private may help.
The egg was perfectly clean so much so I thought it was fake 😂 my concern is it was in cold but then coming into warm house so the change in temp like if the eggs were refrigerated and then taken out …I was afraid it would go bad then?……outside is in 30-40’s egg was not frozen and it’s a lil warmer in coop but we had snow last night so it’s cooler today and not sunny

Yes they were hatched 😂

I think at the age my chickens are now all should be laying ? But being winter I figured they were delayed some due to lack of light hours two silkies are 28 weeks at least and the other 5 are 26.5 to 27 weeks

Congratulations on your first egg. Such a great feeling!
You have plenty of good advice already so I don’t have anything to add except to enjoy eating the first egg.
I don’t wash my eggs. And mine either sit in the counter or in the fridge depending on space and my cooking plans. If I am planning to do a lot of baking or breakfast for lots of folk I like having them handy on the countertop.

There is nothing stupid about asking a question if you don't know. What is stupid is not asking the question and causing harm. Never be afraid to ask a question on here.

The bloom protects the egg from bacteria getting in through the porous shell. If you wash it you remove the bloom so any egg that is washed needs to be refrigerated. as soon as it is dry. If you don't wash them then they don't have to be refrigerated but they should be kept below 80 F (27 C) if they are fertile so they won't develop. They will not hatch but you can see some spots start to develop if they get too warm.

When you wash them you need to use water a bit warmer than the egg. If you use colder water the air sac can shrink and cause a suction on the egg which can cause dirty wash water to enter the egg. If the wash water is slightly warmer than the egg the air sac will increase pressure and keep dirty water out.

If my eggs are clean I leave them on the kitchen counter. They easily last well over a month before I even worry about them as long as no bacteria has entered the egg. When I wash them they go in the refrigerator where the cooler temperatures keep any bacteria that gets inside from growing. Again they will last well over a month in the fridge even if they have been washed.

This 1977 "Mother Earth News" article goes into quite a bit of detail on a study of many different egg storage methods. The way I read it if they are not washed they can last a long time on the counter. If they are washed or unwashed they can last a really long time in the refrigerator, assuming in both cases that no bacteria is inside the egg to start with.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe/

Absolutely.

In addition to the pelvic bone test, if the vent is soft, pink, and moist the pullet or hen is laying or about to lay. If the vent is dry and tight she is not laying.

I don't use herbs. I put a fake egg in the nest to show them where to lay. I use a golf ball but some people use a wooden or ceramic egg. Some use plastic Easter eggs but they are really light and can be scratched out. Fake eggs do not guarantee that they will use that nest but I find it really helps.

I built a couple of my nests so I can lock a hen in there if I want to. That's come in handy for different things but one is to teach a hen to lay in that nest. If a pullet or hen regularly lays in another nest I wait until she is on the other nest to lay and then lock her in a good nest until she lays that egg. Usually it takes a half hour but I had one hen take three hours. Once they lay the egg I let them out. Almost always I only have to do that once for them to get the message that the nest is where they should lay.

Not stupid! We all ask these questions when we first start, and there is conflicting information out there. I think we all do things a little differently.

I personally never wash my eggs (unless they’re filthy which they rarely are). I keep them on the counter unless they have gotten really cold. If they are cold enough to produce condensation once brought indoors, then they should go in the fridge. The condensation is the problem as the moisture can remove the protective bloom and bacteria can potentially get in. I usually refrigerate when my coop is around 40.

General rule of thumb is 2 weeks on the counter and 1 month in the fridge. You do not have to wash them when you put them in the fridge. It’s generally recommended to wash before eating- but I don’t. I’ve also kept eggs longer than the 2 weeks/1month rule and they’ve been fine.

Yes! I love first eggs.

I haven’t had a lot of luck with this, but you should be able to feel their pelvic bones and on your layer they will be significantly farther apart. I find this tough when comparing different breeds. I would guess it’s your sexlinks. They’re bred to lay a lot and start early. My orpingtons have often been my later layers.

Your sexlinks may lay daily once they get the rhythm. Egg-laying does seem to be contagious amongst my pullets. But again it can be a little apples to oranges with a mixed flock.

I wouldn’t sweat it. She’s still figuring it out. You can try putting her in the nest box if you notice her nesting or acting anxious, but she may figure it out own her own. If she consistently starts laying in the same place, then you might want to block that area off. You can also post a Picture of your nest boxes if your worried there’s something they won’t like about them.

I hope your others start up soon! Enjoy that egg!
Got another egg today and yes I think it’s the sex links … I was also told if the combs are brighter red usually they are in a laying stage and three of mine currently have more red combs and waddles then they were two weeks ago they were more of a pinkish ? My buffs are still pinkish but my two sexlinks and my Wyandotte are more red is this true? My lil silkies I’m not sure how to tell but they aren’t really my layers just cute so I couldn’t resist them 😂

Got another egg today and yes I think it’s the sex links … I was also told if the combs are brighter red usually they are in a laying stage and three of mine currently have more red combs and waddles then they were two weeks ago they were more of a pinkish ? My buffs are still pinkish but my two sexlinks and my Wyandotte are more red is this true? My lil silkies I’m not sure how to tell but they aren’t really my layers just cute so I couldn’t resist them 😂
Congrats! And, yes. The combs tend to turn red 1-2 weeks before laying, so that is definitely a good clue. Enjoy your eggs. I think the first ones are always the best ones, haha!

Back
Top Bottom