egg question

gallinamama

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Macomb, Michigan
This might sound silly but this is my first time with fresh eggs.... If you collect the eggs daily how long can you keep them in the fridge?

If you miss one or collect a day after are they still good... the reason I ask is ... I was cleaning the coop today and one of the first eggs was buried
I threw it away...I suspect it was layed that night or day before.. because I check on my birds daily...I did find one just sitting in the nest today...so exciting..so I put it right in the fridge. here is my first egg

57488_first_egg_001.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished lunch of a few hard boiled eggs. Fresh eggs are so GOOD!!
big_smile.png

I have to always go with the adage,"if in doubt, throw it out."

I keep a basket out on the counter. I let them stay at room temp~84 degrees, in the air conditioning.
I collect eggs in the evening, I grade them and put the ones I want to sell in the refrigerator, the ones I plan on using go in the basket.

The ones covered in poo get washed and used really soon, or I feed them to the dogs.

The eggs that I forget about and spend the night in the carton on the counter in the BARN,-anywhere from 95-110, I boil and feed to the dogs, or chop up and feed back to the hens.
There are thousands of threads on this, try a search.
But, at the end of the day, if you are uncomfortable-toss it.

I have heard that the eggs are good for 6 months and I never have had them long enough to test that theory. You WILL know when they go bad...I took some to work and put them in the fridge, I have no idea how long they were in there cause I forgot about them and it was obvious that they were no good.

I have found that if I miss an egg in the coop and find it the next day, the egg is still good, but if it is warm enough outside (and you have a rooster, making fertile eggs) they may begin to develop an embryo. I missed a few last week and when I opened them they had what appeared to be the beginnings of a life (no heart or anything, but had white stuff)

now, I didn't see where you are from, but in the winter they will freeze and break open...I give those to the dog, eggsicles.

Back
Top Bottom