Egg rant....ugh!!

honeydoll

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Stark County, NE Ohio
Ok, I have had chickens for two years. I had Comets that laid such large eggs and so many we were giving them away to family. We had too many to be able to use, it was wonderful. Then I started selling eggs to customer.I am just so happy now. Two weeks after I get orders for 6 dozen each week, my egg production goes way down. I am like...huh? From 8 - 10 a day to like 1-2 a day!! I thought well maybe they are going to moult
he.gif
, just my luck. Then I, after investingating and one hen suddenly dropping dead, found out all 6 of my best producers have egg peritonitis (sp.?),
he.gif
. Ok, rush to farm down the road buy bunch of hens laying already, ugh, more money out then coming in but I'll make it up soon as more egg orders are coming. Then, two in quarenteen develop sinus infection, more
he.gif
he.gif
. So take care of them on antibiotics, no eggs from the for 21 days, even more
he.gif
he.gif
. My others are doing well and all happy. Have everything they need, grit, oyster shell, adjusted to newbies, egg laying picking up. Had to euthinize 6 with the disease..
sad.png
sad.png
. One left, she will be euthinized today...
sad.png
So cleaned out my coop and put nice fresh bedding, everything going great, they look so happy, except the two in quarenteen, their mad and want to be with the rest.
hmm.png
Go in this morning to check at my nice happy calm chickens with the nice fresh clean coop, and WHAT!!!! Are you serious?? My coop roof sprung a big leak, we had tons of rain yesterday, snow storm last night, 10+ inches espected today, and MY COOP IS SOAKED, UGH!!!
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
I'm like really? So at 6AM, I shoveled out the wet, perfectly clean, beautiful mulch, put fresh down, more money wasted, and went toget eggs, guess what I get....two soft shelled and I stepped on one blue egg from my Ameraucauna egg because she lays on the floor..
hmm.png
Will it get better? Of course I know it will. But I just had to ge tthis off my chest. So today we will go try to put plastic on coop roof to get by until weather clears. Maybe tomorrow I'll laugh about it, but today I am a wee bit frustrated. And yes, I did think for a second about culling every last chickeni own, but of course I enjoy them too much to do this...

In the same boat, literally...had to bail out mu coop too, the other day. Had a drip coming in right through the hen door right onto the floor!

Back
Top Bottom