Egg Roll-Out Nesting Box. Egg Catcher, Egg Trap, Egg Eating.

You do have a nice setup. The question rolling around in my mind, is ....... Do predators bother your chickens.??? The chicken wire looks like it would be no challenge to raccoons.. You said that you are there every other day or so. Is there someone there daily to put those cuties nity nite and doors locked up tite.???

So far the only predators are the neighbor's dogs. They killed 6 of my leghorns about four months ago. I seen one racoon but havent seen it since. Other than that, I haven't really had any issues. The chickens goes inside on their own when it gets dark. The next project would be to install an electrical fence and some lighting.

I've been researching for auto time/door but so far I haven't seen one that is decent in price and quality. Although an e-door might be over kill with a electric fence around the coop and run.

I can't imagine anything as overkill when it comes to predator proofing. If you get the wrong predator in that coop, you could lose EVERY BIRD in a matter of seconds!!!

I couldn't agree more. We have layers of security, now I'm converting all my coops into fly in coops on stilts. Nothing can climb them but if they do they have hard wire to contend with. And bamboo spikes, and electric wire extra hot, and concertina wire, and auto lights to blast the entire neighborhood with light...

I think overkill is the name of the game when housing a flock.

I am looking at this system too. Your not wrong when you say plans are not easy to find. Ours are not even laying yet but I want the chickens to see me as a friendly visitor. Not a eggs thief. I saw the slanted boxes in a video from the company we buy our feed from and thought it would be a nice addition to EmbarkGuru's barn tractor that im using for my base design. My question is, what degree of slant works with this?

i built a coop with aa roll out the back a few years ago. The problem i had, it was made from wood as well. come winter time the poop would freeze in the boxes and made it hard to keep clean.

i built a coop with aa roll out the back a few years ago. The problem i had, it was made from wood as well. come winter time the poop would freeze in the boxes and made it hard to keep clean.
Welcome to BYC!

There shouldn't be poop in the nests...that's another problem altogether.
If birds are allowed to roost(sleep) in nests then you have to look at your roost configuration and correct it.

Back
Top Bottom