Egg shell deformity / bumps

free range by day

Songster
5 Years
Jan 2, 2019
Can you take a look at the picture of this egg and able to tell me what the cause is from? This chicken has only layed about 4 pretty - shelled egg in the past year. They are always like this. Here and there I get a couple of my other chicken’s eggs with minor bumps on them , but nothing like this.

Attachments

• 852C269E-7667-41A8-B8CE-1FED199B1C39.jpeg
    852C269E-7667-41A8-B8CE-1FED199B1C39.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 17
It's excess calcium build up on the shell from when it was being formed
Is there something I can do differently so it stops ? They are fed the Tractor Supply Dumor 16% layer feed exclusively. Am I feeding them too much? I keep their feeder full at all times so they eat when they want, but they free range, not cooped up except for at night.

Thank you for the advice . I will make the switch ! I never would have thought a complete layer feed would be an issue, but the shells are always like this so I bet that’s it !

That is probably a problem with her shell gland, not the Layer feed. The shell gland is where the shell is applied. You are feeding the others the same way and they don't have this bad of a problem. To me it is an individual hen problem, not a flockwide problem, and nothing you are doing wrong.

There is nothing wrong with switching feeds and providing oyster shell on the side. That is a common way we feed our chickens and it might help, you never know. There is nothing to keep you from eating that egg though you might not want to sell it just because of the looks. I would not hatch any of her eggs in case it is genetic.

That is probably a problem with her shell gland, not the Layer feed. The shell gland is where the shell is applied. You are feeding the others the same way and they don't have this bad of a problem. To me it is an individual hen problem, not a flockwide problem, and nothing you are doing wrong.

There is nothing wrong with switching feeds and providing oyster shell on the side. That is a common way we feed our chickens and it might help, you never know. There is nothing to keep you from eating that egg though you might not want to sell it just because of the looks. I would not hatch any of her eggs in case it is genetic.
Thank you! I have heard of that before . It could be. I’ll switch to a different feed and provide a side dish of the oyster shells. I have 11 other girls with her, and someone else’s eggs have a few bumps although nothing like our Easter egger.
We eat the eggs for sure anyways, but I do sell them so they pay for their own feed. The green ones are pretty and would like to include them in the cartons .

Back
Top Bottom