Egg Shell feeding methods?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I microwaved egg shells to prepare them for my laying pullets. A little egg white is in the shells. While they were in the microwave, there was some popping and a couple flashes. I don't want to screw up the microwave. Has anyone else microwaved egg shells and had this problem?

Put a small amount of anything with moisture content in the microwave and it will pop as the liquid turns to steam and explodes.

There shouldn't be flashes unless metal is involved.

Last edited:
There was no metal but something was up. The microwave is fine. I just baked them at 200 F for 10 minutes and crushed them. I put egg shells from 2 eggs in a small bowl next to their feed. 3 aren't laying yet but will those 3 eat the shells or only if they need to?

I bake mine in oven but will try the microwave. I have a huge bag of egg shells in freezer and just haven't gotten around to doing in oven this year.. would also like to try them in solar oven

I'm not sure why you folks thing they need to be baked or nuked? I've always just cracked the egg and tossed the shells in the run. I know, I know *gasp, shudder* not finely crushing them will lead to egg eaters!!! Well, not in my 20 years experience. But, just crush them in your hand if you're worried about it. Those eggs came FROM those chickens, I can guarantee there's nothing on them that is going to hurt the bird.

Young non-laying birds may well taste some of the shell. Mine have never really eaten any, they just taste it and decide it's not for them. Roosters aren't interested, either.

I'm not sure why you folks thing they need to be baked or nuked? I've always just cracked the egg and tossed the shells in the run. I know, I know *gasp, shudder* not finely crushing them will lead to egg eaters!!! Well, not in my 20 years experience. But, just crush them in your hand if you're worried about it. Those eggs came FROM those chickens, I can guarantee there's nothing on them that is going to hurt the bird.

Young non-laying birds may well taste some of the shell. Mine have never really eaten any, they just taste it and decide it's not for them. Roosters aren't interested, either.

We already know that you and I are on the same side of this issue. I follow the "KISS" rule for the most part, no need to make it more difficult than it needs to be. They drink from the most disgusting puddle they can find because they can versus the waterer 10ft away with the clean stuff. And we are worried about eggs shells? Not this guy. Won't even bring up some of the stuff they eat.
sickbyc.gif

We still have store bought eggs so I feed them those, I just baked them. But I may just crush the shells from their eggs and feed them back, no baking. One of my girls pecked at her first egg a little, my mom panicked thought she would eat it so I removed it. We got 2 eggs yesterday and 3 today, only 2 out of 5 of our girls are laying. I'm sure our "potential egg eater" has laid at least 2 of those. All our eggs are intact so I guess she was just curious about her first egg but had no intention of eating it.

Back
Top Bottom