Egg shells are rough!

henney

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
Reno Nevada
My Ameraucana has been laying bumpy eggs. The color are green and the bumps are rough like it's calcium pieces on it! Does anyone know what causes this?

I'm getting that in one of my eggs too! When you find the answer I'd love to hear it! My one egg layer's eggs looks like you crushed (like the texture of ground cumin or something) but it's the same color as the egg and it's not consistent, it's spotty like you sprinkled course glitter in spots on the egg. Wierd.

Last edited:
Thats like what I'm getting from one of my girls, its like coarse sand sprinkled all over it, except hers are very brittle as well. Once our barn well thaws out I'm going to take them off the softened water at the house and put them on untreated well water, hoping its just a water salts thing.

No, it's not wavy, it's like crushed sea salt, but the same color as the egg. Some of it can be brushed off, but most of it sticks. None of the RIR's eggs shells are that way. All the girls eat layer feed, eat fresh greens and have access to calcium and grit.

One of my chickens is laying eggs that has very hard shells and are wavy. (deep waves) The eggs are quite large at times and I have wondered if that is what causes it, them being squeesed out the passage way. None of her sisters lay that way, but the kids are really freaked by it and I would love to know if any one knows what causes it. She's a large chicken when I was told she would be small. She must be at least 10lbs, could that cause it. My girls are all free range, are quite spoiled, and are worse than the other pets when I open the door when it comes time to eat.

I get those too every now and again... I just assume its extra calcium deposits that get put on the shell...
hu.gif

*Calling Miss Prissy*
big_smile.png
(psst ya'll.. she knows EVERYTHING)

Yes, I'm thinking it's the extra calcium on the shell. It seems to stick if I leave the egg sit. but I can brush most of it off right after she lays.

Mine arn't just in a few spots though it's the entire egg and they are really deep grooves.
She is the one hen I have that seems to not have a lot of tail feathers for some reason or she keeps them up all the time like her bum hurts or something. I've looked at it and it's not red or anything. I think she just doesn't want to poo on her feathers. cus she is such a priss:D

Back
Top Bottom