Egg size for new RIR hen

YellowChicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
I have four hens, RIR, BSL, JG, and BSLW. The RIR is the oldest about 20 wks and started laying about 2 wks ago. She lays an egg a day and sometimes 2 a day - I feed twice a day and pick up the egg at evening feed. They are about a third the size of a store bought large egg. How long till full size? Also she won't use a nestbox, preferring the ground. Should the nestbox be dark inside, hers is open at the top.
Thanks

The nest box should be dark, and she should feel protected there. Egg size will fluctuate but should even out soon (next month or so). Some of my hens just like to lay on the ground for no apparent reason. I keep there boxes clean and dark, but they would rather sit on the ground, it doesn't bother me though, since they are clean and in an easy to access spot anyways.

Good Luck!

Only happened twice in two weeks. The black sex link is only 10 wks old. The bslw is about 12 and the jg is 14wks. In the first instance the RIR was only penned with the JG.

They can on occasion lay two a day, but its rare but more common with new layers. The size increase is an individual thing. Most reach full size in two months.

Back
Top Bottom