Egg song, in nest, no egg

jeneanxo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
North Carolina
My RIR was my first to start laying this summer, giving us 5-6 a week of large eggs. Now she goes into the nesting box for like she's going to lay, comes out singing her egg song, but no eggs. We have only gotten one from her in the last week. Anyone experienced this?

Hmmm...could be early signs of internal laying. Have you checked her abdomen? Is it swollen, very full? If it goes on much longer, you may want to post in the disease section for more advice on internal layers. (I believe treatment is to keep her in dark location and give antibiotics. But this may be something else, so I would seek other advice than just mine.)

The egg song it's not always a signal that a hen lays an egg. The other day, for instance, one of mine started to sing, just because she wanted to lay , and her nest box was occupied for another hen. Others sing in solidarity with another who is laying,..... The Rooster do this sometimes. If they see something odd,( a strange animal) they sing this song also.

My girl did this a few weeks ago. She was acting like she was going to lay an egg (she starts looking around for a good spot, she likes the delivery van but we have to chase her out of that) and just acts very agitated. She decides on a spot, digs around and makes it nice, sits in there awhile, comes out, throws debris on her back, and then goes back to normal. She did this twice but no eggs. I was a little worried but then a few days later she really did lay an egg, so I guess it was just a precursor to the real thing.

I have a RIR who did the same thing last Saturday and last Sunday. I'm going out to watch again tomorrow (I work during the week) and see if she is laying or passing gas
smile.png

Quote:
Good, that might mean one of my RIR girls is ready to start laying again.

The only time Frosty ever makes the "song" has been after she has laid (while strutting around outside the coop). I just thought this was supposed to be peak production time and we have had 1 egg in 1 week. It's good our Barred Rock and Australorp have been laying almost every day. This is my first time with chickens and wanted to be sure there wasn't something bigger going on.

My Andalusian sang about an hour before she laid her egg 1day .you may have a hidden nest I found 1 yesterday with 6 eggs. When the campine pullet started laying in the new nest the Andalusian started putting her eggs there too.

jeneanxo You are correct this should be peak production time for this hen. That is why an entire week or more of this behavior is an early warning sign. She shows all the classic symptoms. She was an early layer producing unusually large eggs. She now lays nothing although she seems to try daily. Have you felt the abdomen? Is it swollen? Hard?

Maybe you aren't sure what swollen feels like as you are new to chickens? Try catching another layer to compare.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom