Egg stuck in membrane outside vent. Help!

Oh my I'm so sorry. My daughter (9yrs old) has decided that we're no longer allowed to have favorites after losing two of our most precious favorite girls. She says aloud, "_____ is my LEAST favorite" or "I don't like _____" but then will go whisper to them "you're actually my favorite and I love you". It's so difficult whenever it's your favorite and it seems like the favorites always have the worst luck. We grow from all of it no matter the outcome. I can't imagine life without chickens and ducks and hope I never have to.
Your daughter sounds adorable. I agree that we gain is much more than eggs from our chickens.

Your daughter sounds adorable. I agree that we gain is much more than eggs from our chickens.
Thank you. I agree completely. They add so much to life. I'm so happy your girl is feeling better. I'm anxiously awaiting to read about her next egg, right along with you. Here's hoping it's completely and totally uneventful. You and your husband did such a phenomenal job! Bless you both

Thank you. I agree completely. They add so much to life. I'm so happy your girl is feeling better. I'm anxiously awaiting to read about her next egg, right along with you. Here's hoping it's completely and totally uneventful. You and your husband did such a phenomenal job! Bless you both
I will keep you all posted. I don't think we're out of the deep end yet. We brought her in for another soak this afternoon because she had more pooh stuck around her vent but no egg thankfully. I'm planning on bringing her in and keeping her in the dark for a couple of hours each day over the next week in an attempt to stave off any more egg laying until she is all healed inside. She looks totally fine on the outsider but I doubt that she's ready for another round yet. I know I'm not!🤪😬

Oh my I'm so sorry. My daughter (9yrs old) has decided that we're no longer allowed to have favorites after losing two of our most precious favorite girls. She says aloud, "_____ is my LEAST favorite" or "I don't like _____" but then will go whisper to them "you're actually my favorite and I love you". It's so difficult whenever it's your favorite and it seems like the favorites always have the worst luck. We grow from all of it no matter the outcome. I can't imagine life without chickens and ducks and hope I never have to.
<3...she’s precious, imo

So Monday's update on Queenie is that she is doing okay however when I came home this afternoon she had hardened poo stuck in her vent. I have soaked and lubricated and been gently picking away at it but there is still some more in there that must come out. Is there anything more I should be doing beyond the soaking lubricating and picking out what I can?

It's stuck inside the vent? Try a bit of oil to see if that will help loosen it. Unfortunately, I believe what you are doing (lubrication and picking) is the only way to remove the hardened poop.
Thanks for replying. She got some anti-inflammatory shot from the vet this morning so hopefully that will help her heal up a little more quickly. Still waiting to see what that next egg will do to her. Hope she can hold out for a few more days before laying again

Friday update on Queenie. So it's been a week since her prolapsed egg and she is going strong. We still have to give her a nightly butt bath as she has an accumulation of cement- like white poop that keeps gathering around her vent. She's on some meds,
20210312_185337.jpg
so hopefully this will help clear her up. Here is tonight's picture of her drying by the kitchen heat vent.

Back
Top Bottom