egg washing

I don't believe he asked "if" he should wash the eggs, he asked for the proper way "to" wash eggs. I don't agree with almost everyone else on here about the "bloom." Eggs come out of a chicken covered in bacteria(poo). Now I agree there's a bloom that keeps those bacteria from entering the egg, but come on people, not washing the poo bacteria off of an egg is silly and foolish. Now to answer your question. If you only have a few eggs the best thing to do is get a soapy sponge and wipe the egg down then rinse under water and immediately dry it off. Boom. You're good to go. You can also use any type of egg wash but why waste the money when you already dish soap? Just don't ever soak your eggs in soapy water. Now if your like me and have a bunch of eggs to clean at one time, I made an egg washer with a 5 gallon bucket, PVC, and a basket. It hooks to an air compressor and you just set them in it with some egg wash or a capful of bleach for a few minutes. Take them out rinse and dry them. Waaaayyyyyyy quicker than washing by hand, but that's if you have abunch to wash. If you search "DIY egg washer" on YouTube you will find a lot of how to videos to make your own. It's cheap and easy to build.

Thank you everybody for the advice. We inherited 4 white leghorns when we bought our home. We just ordered 14 more chicks (variety) . We're ready to make a go of this! Be prepared or a lot of questions!

The bloom will protect the interior from bacterial infection, but what precautions should be taken during cooking and food preparation? Does anyone make fresh mayo?

When a chicken lays an egg it is covered in a natural coating called bloom. Bloom is a natural way to keep bacteria from entering through the shell into the egg. Unless the egg is dirty, I do not wash my eggs. If I do have an egg that is dirty, I gently clean the debris away with a sponge.[/QUOTE

Welcome to BYC.

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya One thing you'll note is that when you ask a question, you can get many different answers. It doesn't necessarily mean one is more correct than the other, just that we all have our beliefs of what's best and share our personal experiences.

I use roll out nest boxes an don't wash or refrigerate our eggs. If I do get a soiled egg, I wash with plain water and a brush and make sure the water is at least 20 degrees warmer than the egg. After washing I immediately refrigerate.

Yes I also make fresh mayo, the taste is way better than what you get with store bought eggs.

I also have ducks who lay. Ducks are sneaky little buggers and will hide eggs. So when I crack my duck eggs I always use two bowls and sniff the egg before cracking. I'll crack into bowl 1 and inspect, then dump into bowl 2 and repeat. Again, that's just how I do it.

Back
Top Bottom