Egg within an egg

armadamork

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 22, 2010
I did a quick search and found nothing on this so here goes. We got our first chicks almost exactly one year ago and about one week ago egg production went down on all my birds. Health is good so i figured they were molting. To my suprise one of our EE laid an egg that had another full, hard shelled egg in it. The outer shell of the outside egg was like the stretchy liner with no hard shell and was filled with egg white but no yolk. The insided egg was a regular blue/green hard shelled egg. I didn't trust the inside egg so I cracked it open and it "may" have had a double yolk. Any one ever hear of this? I did take video and will try to post.

Oh, yes. It's rare, but not unheard of.

Hope to see the video when you get it. Good luck.

I have a delaware that is one year old and in the past few months has laid 5 of these.. None in the past 10 days thank goodness...
47961_img_1623.jpg

47961_img_1626.jpg

sometimes the outer shell is quite strong and once or twice it was very thin and almost leathery. My fear is it will break internally and cause a perotinitis.... Hopefully I've seen the last one but they really are cool...

I hope this works. I have learned alot today. First I learned how to get the videos off my phone, then how to convert the .3g2 file to .avi, and finally i posted my first video to Youtube. Now I will attempt to put in the correct hyperlink. This is a lot to ask for in one day. The original egg was much bigger when first laid but there must have been a small hole in it when my son brought it in.

Hmmmm. Can't seem to get the hyperlink to work. You may have to copy and paste.

I learned anther thing I guess. When you copy and paste a website address the hyperlink is automatically created when you post. Of coarse I didn't click on it yet so I may have egg on my face. (Sorry for the bad pun. Couldn't resist)

Back
Top Bottom