Egglaying and questions

GREYHOUND

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 6, 2007
OK I took some of your advice and we put lights in both coops. They are on for about 13-14 hours. I then went and bought some bird seed with sunflower seeds in it and gave them some. Put new hay(my friend has horses and they like the little seeds). They get get romaine lettuce, shreeded carrots and green grapes almost every day. They have layed every day for the past 1 to 2 1/2 years every day and now nothing. Never had this happen before, not all of them usually one of them will keep laying or a few but nothing. There fine healthy, happy, fat. Should I still wait, Oh yeah they are still getting their laying mash and scratch. anything else to do or suggest?? Any and all welcome.
Thanks
Kitty in Tucson

Could they be molting? Some chickens just stop laying at 2 1/2 years old. Most people replace their layers every 1-2 years. But it does seem strange for them to stop all the sudden.

Hens lay real well up to 2 or 3 years and then they slack off....egg production goes down hill.... if your wanting eggs you need to replace with a few new pullets every couple years...

My hens are up to 4 years old now and I'm not getting eggs at all from the older set and the young ones have not started laying.....

Are they maybe getting too many treats, and not enough layer feed? Sometimes this will slow down or stop the laying as well. Also, makeing changes in the coop will cause a slow down. I would stop MOST of the treats...make no more changes...and see what happens. What breeds are they? Some just stop in the winter.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom