eggless shell

Ruth Ann

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
South Carolina
I had one of my chickens have a egg shell stuck in her...and there was no egg in it. The shell was soft/leathery. There was no sign of egg in the nestbox or on the ground.
It was poking (about an inch) out of her bumm for over an hour. I watched to see if it came out, but after awhile I worried so I picked her up and took care of it.
I put a warm damp rag on it...as it wouldn't pull out on its own.I think it was dried to her vent skin. After a few mins I tried again and it slipped out whenI pulled on it.It didn't seem to bother her at all. I let her down for a bit...then awhile later I caghter her again and washed her bumm.
She doesn't seen bothered at all. Should I worry?

That's weird. I would check her vent to see if it is moist (it should be as she is somewhere in her laying cycle). It wouldn't hurt if you have the time to give her a warm soak bath. It could help loosen/clean parts you would not get to with a washcloth.

Keep us posted.

Yes, do keep an eye on her. I wouldn't worry too much but it does seem her plumbing got a hitch in it at least temporarily. Just keep an eye on her to see that her next egg comes out right.

She seems fine today. She hasn't been laying much lately as she is starting to molt.
She did lay a couple shell less eggs a few weeks ago.
She has always laid a weird shaped egg...has a "bump" at one end...and the shell is somewhat thin.
It is always a large egg too...not monsterous...just a big egg.

Back
Top Bottom